PDA

View Full Version : Toss the motor after 11years???

Burley_Boy
10-07-2004, 07:09 PM
My tilt motor went quiet the other day. Pulled it apart and found that the cap on the motor is made out of steel and rusts as its just on the water line, it had let water in causing the brushes to gummy up. No major drama I thought I'll just clean it up and replace the cap which looks pretty grim. #:)

Went to the marina this morning and paid for my new sounder asked if he had an old tilt motor for my 1993 Yamaha 40. Nope says the guy, they're not made to last I think you should replace your engine if its that old... >:(
Yeah right I said and left!

Went to Yatla wreckers who let me know that they were rare as hens teeth and sent me to the local Yamaha dealer. The dealer let me know that I could either buy the entire motor assembly for $498 or the cap for $502. He then said that if the motor was that old then I should be careful spending that sort of money on it! I'm sure he'd be happy selling me a new engine unit.
This cap that has rusted just looks like the bottom of a tin can, no big deal but it needs to seal correctly and be the right size.

So am I the lone dickh*%d out there (excuse the expression) who decides that things have to be pretty bad before they can't be fixed. I'll damn well rebuild this tilt assembly without their help but the attitude that anything thats out of warranty is ready for the scrapheap gives me the sh*ts! >:(

The spares policy of our motor suppliers is pretty crappy as well but I'm sure its the same accross all makes. You'd think that a supplier that had a reasonable policy on spares would make a compelling argument for their brand.

dorado
10-07-2004, 07:49 PM
I have a Yammie 70 which I bought new in 1992 and it has the exact same problem with the rusted up cap you descibe above. I've not been able to find a replacement either for some time now. Shame cuz this engine is a real gem. She's only done 298 hours since new and has never missed a beat and still starts first time, every time, but she's now starting to eminate a few 'noises' from within the tilt assembly :'(

Good luck in tracking one down! if I find 2 I'll send one to you, perhaps it may fit urs too :)

Dorado

blaze
11-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Take the piece to a metal enginnering w/shop and get one machined up out of stainless or alloy, probable cost ya $100 for it, cheaper if ya had a couple made
cheers
blaze

Needmorerum
11-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I'm with blaze, I have had lots of different bits made by engineering firms, as long as there isn't alot of finicky work involved it wouldn't take much. What are the chances of supplying a photo of this cap.

Corry

argee
11-07-2004, 02:03 PM
I had trouble getting bits for my 1984 40 yammie. (top crankshaft seal housing and charge coil). I tried 2 yammie dealers in Melbourne and was quoted around $840 by both. :o Called a wrecker who said $300 for both. :-/
Tried Blakes in Sydney, $240 brand new plus $5 postage. ;D ;D
Guess who I bought the parts from? ;)
May be worth giving them a call, couldn't hurt.

Burley_Boy
11-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Ok pickie is on its way, had to recharge the camera. The tricky bit is that the cap is part of the armature assembly, ie it holds the permanent magnets that surround the motor coil. It has to sit right next to the coil without touching. I've just tried refitting the magnets after cleaning up the cap and rust"proofing" it. Do you think I could get the buggers to sit right!! :-[
Looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun trying to get these to sit in a perfect circle. The case is probably just distorted enough to make the magnets sit slightly off line and rub onto the coil.

Blakes in Sydney is that a dealer or a wrecker ?? I find them under Blakes I suppose.

Here comes the pickie & thanks for bothering to help out guys its really appreciated.

Burley_Boy
11-07-2004, 03:04 PM
And again

blaze
11-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I had to buy one 2 years ago for my 78 evi, from memory it was about $30 and genuine. Looking at the pic, an engineer shop could make you one, they would probable make up a spindle of some sort to set up mags etc
cheers
blaze

Burley_Boy
12-07-2004, 08:04 AM
$30 for an original would be beaut but on the Yamaha system RRP is over $500 for the unit with the magnets.
I've heard there are aftermarket motors and I might try to hunt one down somewhere but I'm not sure where from yet.

I just had a thought, the tilt issues seem to be a common problem and wouldn't it be possible to fit a generic hydraulic unit that could bolt onto all sorts of tilts? I mean the pump could be located in the boat and just piped to the cylinder/s.

argee
12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Blakes are a dealer.... http://www.blakesmarine.com.au

You could also try giving Golden Seal a call in Melbourne, they do wrecking and reco work and may be able to help....... http://www.goldenseal.com.au/index2.html

dnej
13-07-2004, 06:52 AM
There is a mob at the back of Burleigh. They used to own Yatala wrecking, and are great to deal with. Cant remember the name or phone number, but could find out for you if you like.
Regards David

Hagar
13-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Burley Boy
Can tell you and Blaze have some engineering savvy. But cannot tell from the pics just what the problem with the end plate of the motor housing is that is letting water in . Is the seal seating area corroded or something . Can't you just machine that area to repair it without needing a new end cap ? I am with you on the subject of fixing bits instead of throwing them away .
Chris

Heath
13-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Give NEPTUNE MARINE 0295250990 who are at 40 Bay Rd Taren Pt a call.

These guys saved me an absolute bucket load a few years back. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Heath
13-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Maybe try here (http://www.maxrules.com/fixyamahatrim.html) as well.

Or try this website (http://www.boats.net/cgi-local/listings.pl?type=form&stype=motor)

Don't look like they sell just the body, just the whole assembly.

Burley_Boy
14-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Blakes...quoted $850 for the tilt motor (Yamaha RRP$498 ) and if I needed the case under it it was $3500 :( :(

dnej, called the mob at the back of Burleigh already (and now I've forgotten what they're called!!!) Very helpful but no luck. The unit is apparently only sold as a complete unit with motor and endcap.

Hagar, the reason it needs replacing is because it is so corroded that its paper thin & perforated. Even if I sealed it up it's unable to hold its shape and the magnets will touch the coil! :o

I might have to fork out the $500 but woke up in the middle of the night realising how it might be fixed.
I had a PVC pipe that was the right inner diameter and all I needed was a brass bush with holes cut for the coil and 2x screws in the right spots and the outer diameter the same as the pipe. Then I'd fit this to the top of the pipe and seal it with a PVC cap.
Realised that thats a couple of clicks on my computer and thats what I make :o :o #(we precision cut metal shims).
Cut them this arvo #then realised that the pvc pipe was not round!!! Now I'll have to get someone to cut me a bit of pipe the right size but that should not be impossible. :)

Burley_Boy
14-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Heath thanks, looked at those sites this afternoon. Looks like there is a new Yamaha part number which means that API makes a replacement unit for $USD226 I'd already sent them a query when I saw your post. Sold through Go2Marine.

Heath
15-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Burley Boy,

If its one thing I learnt a while back is not to trust what the dealers say, in regards to spares.

Get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th opinion......

Some interesting reading for you, Here (http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10282039 41;start=)

Big_L
15-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi Burley-Boy
If the motor runs well and rest is OK spend the money and repair it.
Happy Boating
Big-L

Burley_Boy
15-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Just found that the Yamaha dealer had given me the wrong part number... so its not $500 its now $950...
At least I know I can get a US made part for $USD226 but I'll have another look at this repair. An call some of the places suggested.

For my next engine(4stroke) is there another manufacturer that treats their spares in a more sensible way?

Great reading there Heath and I must say before this I'd not even look at another manufacturer.

blaze
15-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Heath
Remember reading that post at the time and still finf it very informitive and good to see some old post links pulled up from time to time
cheers
blaze

Burley_Boy
18-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Well I almost rebuilt a new cap for it ;D had the pvc pipe down to the right dimension had a precision cut brass washer that was going to double as a centering washer and a bush almost all done when the two magnets snapped together on the bench :-[
Snapped one in half and I'm beat! It was a bit of a challenge to make your own so I'm a bit dissapointed not to be able to post the pickie of the working piece of art, but alas I will be placing an order in the US tonight as none of the wreckers have been able to help me out. :'( :'(

blaze
18-07-2004, 07:12 PM
bugger