PDA

View Full Version : poly 4.1 couple questions

gotherat
07-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Hey guys

Ordering a poly 4.1 open boat and what are your thoughts on colours. I was thinking white and then break it up by carpet and stickers or maybe dark blue.

Engine wise im pretty sure im going to put a 40 hp 3cyl yammy tiller on back, are these pretty good engines. What sought of speed should i get out of it with 2 average people in it.
In regard to putting in a driving seat, has anyone had any troubles with sitting so close to the back on the boat, ie most tinnie benches are further forward. Any ideas for rear seat placement/mounting ie still want to access storage area.

The other rear storage area will be coverted to a live bait tank, however a bit worried about weight on drivers side ie driver plus full tank below rear drivers side, what about battery, know there is plenty of room in the rear but the weight?

In terms of rod holders i know they come with rear holders, planning on putting a couple of scottys on side decks for front of boat, would this be ok?
Any pictures of poly's being fitout would be handy

Any advice from people who know or own polys would be great..

Cheers.

Brett_Finger
07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi,
here ya go, enjoy.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1069065158 ;start=0

Hookin,Brett ;D

Stevo25
07-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi MrRat

I have the same boat and the 40 Yammy 3cyl on the back (2 stroke) very happy with performance with both. The Motor mounting needed some mucking around (lifting it up / trim) but all is well now. I went with the lighter blue as i thought the dark blue would make it abit warm in summer. Here's some picks of my fitout.

Stevo25
07-07-2004, 12:10 PM
another

Randall
08-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Here`s a few more.

Randall
08-07-2004, 04:04 AM

Randall
08-07-2004, 04:05 AM

Randall
08-07-2004, 04:10 AM

gotherat
08-07-2004, 05:50 AM
Thanks for pictures guys :)
Looks like alot of time has been spent fitting out the boats, they look great.
Do you need any special prep before putting stickers on?

Cheers

Randall
08-07-2004, 08:22 AM
I`m not a sticker type person mate, but I have found a heat gun on the poly surface beforehand will expand the polyethylene...apply the stickers....when it cools down it seems to draw the sticker material in and I have never had any probs. !2 months on and still holding well.

Brett has a 40 hp yammy on his and when we go side by side, he matches my speed with a 50 Honda 4 banger.

I get approx 55kph top speed but have recently fitted a foil to it. The out-of-the-hole is now exceptional but I have sacrificed a few K`s off top speed.

With reference to driving seat position....go forward about 500 mm. This moves the weight forward and is easier to hook hard in turns without the tiller arm breaking ribs!! ;D

The polys are exceptional. The BMW of the water. Smooth and straight tracking. Easy to keep clean too.

GHave fun with yours.

Randall.

gif
08-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Lots of good advice above.

Colours? # DONT go white #- how dull. # #Polycraft have lots of advantages, and one of them is c-o-l-o-u-r

be brave # - - though the two tone is a bit of a gamble on how well it turns out imho.

They are easy to clean - but white will always show any marks, and don't forget to get a colour ( other than white) in any other boat will cost $$ # - so get something for free and get a poly colour.

I've studied quite a few Poly fitouts #- and have done some unique things on a 3m and a 4.55 #- happy to talk you thorough some ideas on the phone, then send you some sketches/ diagrams. # send me a pm or call on 0412 111 573

Gary

gotherat
09-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Thanks gary
I will send you a pm when i take delivery of the boat, any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

chris78
09-07-2004, 08:19 AM
heres another one for the collection

Cheers
Chris

chris78
09-07-2004, 08:20 AM

Randall
09-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Chris, the grey kinda grows on you after a while mate!! ;D

A freind of mine got a grey hull last year....he`s from NSW as well. Whats goin on down there mate?

Randall.

Randall
09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Gary....white is dull????

Your taste in in your arse mate ;D ;D

I love white....just like a virgin. ;D

Now, if you want to knock a color, just have a gander at Bretts!!!! :o I think he would feel perfectly at home up the passage!! ;D #(Bribie Passage)

Run Randall, run like hell!!!!

speaking of the passage, i was shooting my mouth off to Brett one day and he pushed me into the river,i should have learnt by now... ;D

gotherat
14-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Ordered the dark blue on the weekend.
Heat should not be an issue when i carpet the boat.
I am considering using clips for the carpet on the floor area so i can pull out and dry/clean. For the casting deck and hatches i will glue the carpet down.

As for driving seat at this stage im planning on hinging the lid and mounting a short rotating base. To access below i would have to pull the seat forward. Is there any better alternative considering live bait tank will be below the seat?

As for rod storage is it possible to have vertical rod holders? Could i simply screw some holders into the wall below the casting deck (on one side).

Cheers

polydriver
16-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I have a white poly and it is starting to show marks and scuffs from use. A good scrub gets most of them off though.

Polys are great for setting up as you can screw almost anything almost anywhere. And, if you dont like it you can always get it plastic welded.

Brett_Finger
17-07-2004, 06:12 AM
Dave,
mate a quick hit with degreaser will bring the hull up a treat,just the cheepie stuff for the warehouse will work just fine.
hookin,Brett :)

Randall
17-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Exersizing those moderator rights again I see Brett!!!! ;D

BARSTARD!!!!! ;D

And no...I have`nt learnt my lesson. I love hanging S*#T on you still buddy!!!

Randall.

Brett_Finger
20-07-2004, 04:48 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D