PDA

View Full Version : do you really need a tacho on a tiller steer

Jono_SS
21-07-2004, 02:45 PM
just wondering if anyone can come up with good reasons for forking out the extra few $$ for a tacho on a tiller steer in the 50hp range...my personal opinion is it's not needed, but I'd like to know what others think...

blaze
21-07-2004, 04:05 PM
i think that as long as boats proped right so you dont over rev, u will soon know at what revs it sounds sweet and cruises well
cheers
blaze

Jono_SS
21-07-2004, 04:19 PM
thanks blaze...so I guess that leads me to "how do you know if it's propped right"?...do you just go with the standard prop that comes with the motor, and hope the manufacturer has done all the hard work?

blaze
21-07-2004, 05:06 PM
I would think that a good dealer would do a on water test of motor after fitting to the hull, At that point they could clip on there w/shop test tacho to test every thing, Things like idle revs, wide open throttle etc
cheers
blaze

eggbeater
21-07-2004, 05:54 PM
most late model tillers should have rev limiters fitted as standard so no need for a tacho

ross_woody
22-07-2004, 04:17 AM
I have a 40 tiller steer, I would not waste money for a tacho. just listen to the Motor you soon work out the revs.

Jeremy
22-07-2004, 07:06 AM
"I would think that a good dealer would do a on water test of motor after fitting to the hull, At that point they could clip on there w/shop test tacho to test every thing, Things like idle revs, wide open throttle etc"

I think that is pretty optimistic isn't it Blaze? I would be interested in how many people have bought boats that have been water tested by the dealer after fittout, and how many haven't been water tested. Maybe an interesting topic for a poll?

Jono, In my opinion, it would be worth the extra $ to get trim and tilt on your tiller steer OB if available.

Cheers,

Jeremy

blaze
22-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi Jeremy
If I purchased a new o/b or package and the dealer wasnt prepared to water test, I would take my business elsewhere because IMO the o/b could not be tested and checked to see if mated to hull correctly
If they want my money thats what would happen
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
22-07-2004, 11:51 AM
For me I think it is essential on any o/b, it's not over-reving that conserns me it's under revs. You will be better prepared in the future to tune your setup if you have a tacho. nq

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-07-2004, 12:12 PM
i've got a 50hp - use the tacho mostly to ensure i don't exceed 2gorillas when warming & to twink the boat speed/revs/trim equation to get the best economy vs speed. I think it's useful when fuels about $1/litre - how much are they asking ? shouldn't cost mega$$$ its a pretty simple fit out.

aido
22-07-2004, 03:05 PM
i think your money would be better spent on a navman fuel computer
thought i saw a f2100 system for $259 recently.

Jono_SS
22-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Aido, is the fuel computer plugged into your fuel line, thus enabling consumption calculations, or does it just connect to those wires coming from the tank (?sender unit??), in which case is it more accurate than an analogue gauge?

gcourt
22-07-2004, 04:06 PM
G'day All
Jono
I've got speedo,tacho,hour and fuel gauges on my tiller and would not be without at least tacho and hour .
Jeremy is spot on in suggesting trim and tilt on a 50hp.I have mounted a trim switch in the planking next to my drivers seat so i can trim whilst running,well worth the extra dough on a tiller.
cheers
Glenn

mr_phishy
22-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey Taaann

You can get a nice little taco from old el paso just add some imagination..

Really, you can get a little unit called "tinny tach" which displays RPM and hour meter. If i bought a new engine i would get one because i think it would be great to monitor you r useage and revs..

Dont know how much they cost but certainly a nice idea!

Dont worry too much about the fuel meter, you will work out how much it uses pretty quickly. Get a decent sounder, duel beam with colour screen hmm.. boat show season is comming up soon..

Mick

aido
22-07-2004, 05:52 PM
the fuel flow is sensed with a flow meter.
second thoughts, the other guys might be right.
an hourmeter is almost a must have item,
combined with a tacho, go with that.