PDA

View Full Version : Brett / Polycraft

landy1
22-07-2004, 07:43 AM
G'day Brett or other fonts of wisdom.
I am considering investing in a 4.55 centre console polycraft. Now my question for those whove been there before is what is the best outboard package to compliment the boat. Ive asked polycraft through their Mt Isa dealer for a quote including 2 stroke engine packages but i wanted to hear from those whove had one on the water. I am assuming a 50hp for that hull but beyond that I dont know. As always advice appreciated.
cheers
Mick

bay_firey
22-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Mick

I have a 4.55 front runner which is a touch heavier than the C/C.
I have a 50 Suzuki 4 st and am very pleased with the combo. I get 52.5 kph @ 6200 rpm flat out with me and my 12 year old son and gear for an overnight stay.
The 4 runs on the smell of an oily rag and is just so quiet and smooth.
BUT if you are likely to have a heavy load or max people (4) regularly then I would look at a 60.

In all honesty if I had my time over I would probably go for a 60 regardless. Not that I am unhappy with the 50 but a 60 would just give that bit extra in reserve.

cajun
22-07-2004, 03:17 PM
got a 50 hp 4st honda on my poly 4-55 c/c really happy with it
cajun

cheno
22-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Mick,

I have a 455cc with a 60hp yammy 4 stroke. Swinging a standard 12" pitch prop I can get 60kmh out of it by myself on flat water. With two blokes, full tank of fuel and an esky it drops to around 56ks. It would easily swing a 13" prop and go faster but with the 12" it has awesome acceleration and holds speed going into a sea. It ain't all about top speed though cos when you are at sea you can rarely go flat stick in a litttle boat. Having said that it is nice to not have to cane the motor to get a decent cruise speed though (four strokes do not like being run flat out all the time ).

Many of the 50s and 60s have similar block sizes so in all honesty you won't notice a really big difference in grunt between some 50s and 60s, maybe a bit better top end speed. However, you can look at this in two ways, get similar performance for less bills by buying a 50 or effectively get extra horses with little or no weight penalty by going for a 60.

There is regular poster here (can't remeber his name) who has a 455 with a 40hp honda on it. He gets excellent performance from it and saved heaps on the donk.

It all really comes down to how much you want to spend and
how much you will load thet boat up. I definitely reckon you wont go wrong with a 60 but if you decide on a 50, make sure you go for the biggest you can find.

By the way, It's a great little boat, good in a sea for its size and is very stable at rest considering the ride that you get.

Just don't drop your soldering iron on it like I did on the weekend ::)

cheno

megafish71
22-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Whats the story Landy, don't we heckle you enough, now you want to buy a plastic boat. :o
thought you might cop a bit of flack, just wanted to be the first ;D ;D

piscator
22-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Gidday Cheno

The guy with the 40 Honda is me - I think the post we are talking about had something to do with prop selection and wasnt that long ago but Im stuffed if I can find it now :-[

Theres been heaps of posts about the topic Landy1 good luck searching around, theres a bit about on other boards as well but generally all you need is here mate.

Brett

This is 12kms off Hat Head, a 40 was plenty that day!

SNELLY
23-07-2004, 04:38 AM
Good one megafish !!!

landy1
23-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Love your work megafish, ::) only problem is im sick to death of welding up my tinnie. the "quality" of the tracks up here isnt realy condusive to a metal boat on a trailer for a six hour drive :o
Anyway, i'll sic Brett onto you with his purple plastic boat that'll sort you out ;D

megafish71
23-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Good to see you haven't lost you sense of humor Landy. Are you still going to push your disco to Cardwell for the meet and greet. If you make it and not too tied to go fishing theres a spot on my boat with your name on it.
Cheers and happy boat shopping
Ron

Big_L
23-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Landy 1
Iv'e got a 4.55 center and only got a 35hp 3cyl Johno and it goes real good but a bit slow out of the hole I was out in the chop on the north coast yesterday with 3 of us and all our gear went excellent ;) Don't forget if you buy one to buy the correct trailer or you void your warranty.
Big-L

landy1
23-07-2004, 09:29 PM
G'day Ron
What my arms might be to tired to hual in all of those massive fish eh, or would it be to get the can up to my lips :D. I'd love to get over and have a gander at Cardwell but i think im out this time have too save up the brownie points after the Escott trip and convincing the missus i need a new boat.
Well it seems a 50 is a good consensus. I got a quote today with a yammie 50 2 banger on the back for a very attractive price. Now i'll just have to convince the minister for war and finance and im away. I was worried the polycraft might have had the same outboard dramas that the hornets had.
cheers
Mick

Brett_Finger
24-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Mick,
50 Yammy will be fine mate, she'll poke along just nicely. ;D
Hookin,Brett :D

bay_firey
25-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Mick

You will be very happy with that rig