PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 175hp Yammie 1991

boatboy50
21-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys,
Recently purchased second hand boat. Mechanical inspection by mechanic turned out perfect.
After taking delivery (first use), the continuos engine alarm is coming on. It seems to be the oil alarm, stating low oil. The main bottle is about half full, and the engines reservoir bottle is full.
The alarm only comes on as the boat is almost at 3500rpm. As i ease back off the throttle, it goes off at about 1500rpm. If I keep playing with it, on/off plane, after about five minutes the alarm stays off, and the boat is used for the rest of the day with no probs.
I have taken the top off the reservoir bottle each time, and it may be connected to why it stops.
Im thinking it might be the float in the reservoir bottle, or something simple like that.
What do you guys think?
Regards
Darren

peterbo3
21-07-2004, 03:41 PM
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

BB50,
Go to the above link & follow the directions. These people are some of the best OB techs in the world. Your problem will have been covered before.
Regards,
Peter

blaze
21-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi Darren
If you think its the low level alarm,try simulating the warning beeper by moving the float or when making the noise, disconect it. certainly a prob to get on top of, might not hurt to run 100:1 fuel until ya sure its fixed
cheers
blaze

boof
21-07-2004, 06:07 PM
i hade a 75 marina done the same thing took it to a dealer i bought from .this might sound silly he just cleaned battery terminals and wire connecions. never had a problem since

boatboy50
22-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the advice.
I searched iboats.com, and found quite a few possabilities.
Today i have pulled the oil bottle out completely, put new oil in it, cleaned the electrics, cleaned the filter, and cleaned the electrics to the battery terminals.
This covers most of the possabilities of what the problem could be.
Will see in the next few days if it fixes the problem.
Thanks once again for your advice.
Regards
Darren

fishingrod
22-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Darren
Ive got a pair of 175hp 2003 2stroke carby yammys and the hand book talks about certain light combinations and alarms to indicate the problem to help track it down. I have full digital instrumets and not the needle type

IE blocked oil filter, empty external tank, empty internal tank, bad pump etc can all be shown

Im not sure if you've got oil level or warning lights that are comming on at the same time as the buzzer?

If so, do u recal the lights that were comming on or flashing on the dash.

I used to have a OMC Ficht and the low oil buzzer came on with a 1/3 bottle remaining ..... sooooo annoying. This sounds different to your problem however

cheers
Rod

boatboy50
22-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Rod,
The middle orange light is coming on also. This is supposed to indicate low oil in the boats bottle, but the bottles almost half full. Spoke to a mechanic today, and he seems to think it could be an obstruction in the oil bottles filter. So ive cleaned that out. Seemed fine though.
Crossing the fingers!
Sounds like a nice rig you have.
One day!
Regards
Darren

fishingrod
22-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Darren
Yep, just checked, my book says the same for the middle light. Sounds like your on the right track. The suggestion to run 100:1 oil in the fuel isnt so bad as at least u know ur getting oil even of its a bit smoky until u get the problem solved. Just watch the bottle so u know the level is going down each trip.

My rig?...... not quite, its a 23' Shark Cat rescue boat that im a skipper on. Not my own. Toally awesome boat in the rough.
My eyes are on a used 18' cat for fishing when money allows.

cheers
Rod

boatboy50
23-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey Rod,
If this wind goes away taking the rig for a test tomoz.
Im a skipper at VMR Southport, so yes, gotta love those cats.
Hey, Today you can buy an old but good 23 cat for the same price you can buy an 18. So why would you bother for the little imitator? Lol
I missed out on a 23 cat with full fibreglass hardtop and twin yammies for $26000 a few weeks ago. Certainly much better value than the smaller version.
Regards
Darren

fishingrod
23-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Darren
Im down on the Hawkesbury River in NSW.
www.hawkesburyrescue.org.au
The web page is a bit out of date at present and only shows our smaller boat.

I cant justify the mooring and fuel costs to own a 23' myself..... i agree they are only another few $k. At least a 18' I can tow with my Pajero and also take up and down the coast if i wanted. Twin 150hp+ are too expensive to run unless u got generous deckies, but im one up most of the time coz i go fishing when i want to and its a last minute decision normally.

as u said...... one day we'll both get there !

Rod

boatboy50
23-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Rod,
Go to www.vmrsouthport.com
There is the three toys i get to play with!
Ironically, ive just bought a Yamaha Southwind SF20. Thats what im having issues with!
Bit by bit im getting closer to my dream twin engines beast! Lol
Regards
Darren

fishingrod
23-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Ive sat up there at 'Nara and the boat ramp and seen u guys come and go + seen your toys at the Scantuary Cove B/show the last 2 years. Its like a annual pilgrimage at the moment. You qld'ers sure know how to enjoy the water!

I can see myself owning a 18' and cursing its not as good as the bigger one and then loose interest in mine.
rod

Kerry
25-07-2004, 09:53 AM
On a motor of that age the in-line filter could be worth looking at and actually as a matter of course probably replace it anyway.

Behind the secondary oil bottle (the big one in the boat) there is a very small in-line oil filter about the size of a 5 cent piece. I would replace this little filter then at least if that doesn't stop the alarm then it's obviously something else.

Cheers, Kerry.

boatboy50
25-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey Guys,
Thank you very much for your help. The problem has been fixed. It was either the filter clogged, or loose battery terminals. I fixed both of these, and the boat didnt have any problems out on the water today.
Thank you very much.
Regards
Darren