PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Pods

drb
24-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Anyone know of decent suppliers/manufacturers of outboard pods.

Any advise on fitting or experience anyone has with fitting one to a fiberglass boat would be great too

thanks

Darren

boatboy50
25-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey,
I fitted a pod to a Seafarer Venus (V-Sea) hull many years back.
It worked wonders, turned a good boat into a great one.
I had mine fitted by Trewalla Marine on the Gold Coast. The pod was a standard mould they had, and the set up was great. The finish wasnt so great, but the price reflected it.
PM for more info if you need it.
Regards
Darren

NQCairns
25-07-2004, 04:43 PM
I have been researching the net for a while now with the view to fitting one to a project boat which I raised the transom full height. I have traveled in poded boats but have not yet been lucky enough to get to know a boat well before and after.
Here is some of the general info I found might help and some could be outright wrong too when applying it to a specific boat.

Generally hull extension pods suit under 18foot boats better than setback pods.
Both can work well on over 18 foot
Deeper V boats get better overall results from a pod than shallower hulls.
If fitting a setback pod to an under 20 footer plan a spot for the possible fitting of trim tabs, they might be needed.
Setback pods can increase top speed and lower planing speed by as much 10% even more when set up well.
Hull extension around the 6% to 10% if it was badly needed.
Less chance of having a poor result from a hull extension.
The engine should be raised approx 1 inch for every foot of setback (very specific to hull type)
If cavitation is a problem then a setback bracket (15 or 20 odd cm)can help a lot.
Use 3m 4800 or 5200 to seal any through hull bolts.
Ask what polyester resin the pod is made of Vinyl-ester strongest, most expensive and overall the best, Iso grade is cheaper and quite all-right although less strong in every respect and ortho grade is the cheapest and best left alone for a pod because it will need to be quite thick and heavy compared to the above grades especially the vinyl-ester.
Prolly heaps more :) info around. nq

drb
25-07-2004, 05:54 PM
thanks guys, thats a great help