PDA

View Full Version : Rusting Bollards

Barrymundi
27-07-2004, 03:33 PM
On my new boat I have rust stains on the gelcoat from under the rear bollards.

The place I purchased it from said that it is just the way it is and even pretended to have pulled them and clean under them. The only thing that was pulled off was me .............

Is it the screws or the Bollard ?

Also should I put some Sika between the bollard and gelcoat ?

Any feedback appreciated.

Al

blaze
27-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Al
Alot of marine fixtures are made out of 304 stainless and are then bolted on with 304 bolts
It will help if you remove them and clean away stains, remount using sikaflexs to seal and replace your 304 bolts with 316 (have a seat when asking the price of 316)
cheers
blaze

Barrymundi
27-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks Blaze,

They tell me they are 316, I dont care about the price, It looks bloody terrible

Al

Needmorerum
27-07-2004, 05:02 PM
When attaching most things to a boat, I think it is worth putting a thin layer of sika around the base of it. It stops sh!t getting under there and being unable to clean off.

Corry

peterbo3
27-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I will go along with the 316 grade SS fasteners & the need to bed down fittings BUT are the cleats plated bronze/brass or plain old steel. Some of the crap imports are plated steel which look good on the shelf but start to rust as soon as they meet salt water. ;D ;D ;D
316 is designed for constant immersion(underwater), 304 is for an on-deck type situation but still should not bleed.
Off the shelf 316 grade cleats/bollards are normally made in Oz/NZ/US/GB & are not cheap. They will often be branded & show maker on bottom side along with grade of SS. Or you can get a marine fabricator to knock up a pair using SS bar & plate.
Don't let the dealer put one over you

banshee
27-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Toothbrush and Toothpaste should shift it.

dnej
28-07-2004, 11:45 AM
I am with Peterbro, shouldnt happen with 304. Check if the bollard and screws are s/s.
I have avery old boat with 304 stainless fittings, 18 year old, and no problems.
Lanolin grease is great for under fittings.
David