PDA

View Full Version : Cost to repair 4 stroke head info.

NQCairns
02-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Not trying to start a 2 V 4 here but I thought this info from a very respected marine tech on another site ( US)was interesting he stated that a v6 yammi when they start to get old and have some normal 4 stroke type problems - a cracked head in this instance.
According to the service manual if all the steps are taken in the stripdown, fix and rebuild of the head the amount of labour wil be in the 55 to 60 hour range :o :o :o :o :o and a 4cyl around the 40 hour mark :o :o :o.
Damn thats a lot of labour at the going rate :'( .Where are they taking us??

jaybee
02-08-2004, 01:42 PM
nq just out of curiosity what is the going rate per hour, and then we also live in a throw away society, if you look at cars today, they use to fix a carby, today they replace it, (if a car has one) not good
cheers
Joe

Big_Kev
02-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Thats why manufacturers keep making new ones.
They don't make them to be overhauled only replaced.
Cheers Kev. :)

NQCairns
02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Joe I dont know for sure I have been able to stay away from them for 15 odd years now but I would guess $60 someone might fill us in.
Kev They will do themselves out of the bulk of their customers if they are not carefull.

Kerry
02-08-2004, 02:51 PM
With most outboards it's not so much the hours or the labour rate but the parts, the parts are the killer especially with major overhauls.

Cheers, Kerry.

NQCairns
02-08-2004, 03:06 PM
So thats around 2400 dollars for labour + 2000 for parts? (full head kit, just a guess) then new oil, filter and basic tuneup etc Gotta be a $5000 bill. If a person got a $5000 dollar bill for head rebuild on a vehicle they would be seeing the mechanic in court.

Big_Kev
02-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Like I said, thats why they make new ones.
Manufacturers would rather you bought a new one, that is what keeps the factory going.
As for doing themselves out of customers I tend to think not. All are in on the game, so creating more customers buying new motors is what it is about.