PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs

ken4159
09-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi all
Would like to hear from anyone who has trim tabs on their boat.
Looking at 2 options for mine Hydraulic or Electric screw

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

NQCairns
09-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Hydraulic last and lasts, the electric actuated ones will cost hundreds more over 10 years, not much protecting the gizzards from water intrusion. Go hydraulic.nq

Lucky_Phill
09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
all boats over 6mtrs should have trim tabs, imo.

phill

propdinger
09-07-2004, 03:04 PM
hey Ken
i have had hydraulic on my old boat couldnt fault them at all except being old but they never need more than a oil. the caribbean without it would of been sh*t. but at the end of the day it all comes down to price so pick a good brand (quility) and you shouldnt go wrong......

cheers
jeff

ken4159
09-07-2004, 03:33 PM
nq & jeff - hydraulic looks the go

Phill - totally agree

Thanks, Ken

dazza
11-07-2004, 04:56 AM
wouldn'y have a boat without them. had a pair fitted to our first boat (6.0m stessel yellowfin) which made the boat driveable. they were hydraulic and worked a treat. have got "trimmaster" trim tabs on the 680sf. they are electric. have had them on for about 5 years now. have got a small leak in one of the seals. hopefully easily fixed by a hydraulic shop. apparently trim master don't do parts. have phoned the distributor direct and they will only sell complete units or major components. (ram, or control box).
cheers
dazza.

ps if anyone knows someone who does trim master parts, please let me know, the distributor only wants to sell me a new set :-[ :-[

Sportfish_5
20-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Seems that from what I have read on the net is that Bennets Hyd tabs are the way to go. I have almost saved enough for my M80s. Just gotta figure out where to fit them on the back of the Sportyfish. Damn those duckboards ???

I thinks any plate boat with high wooded sides needs tabs.

Ken - Have a look at this link. Bennets Customer service in the US seems outstanding. webpage is good too. Try the simulator

http://thehulltruth.net/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=4
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

Cheers

Greg

Smithy
21-07-2004, 04:25 AM
Just fitted the smallest Bennetts to a 702 Signature. Absolutely made the boat. Typical big deep V that liked to get up on top and with a Navman GPS/Fuel Computer 4500 RPM is the most economical revs. At that revs though she is doing 26 knots and is very slappy in the front shoulders. We were also having to use a lot of negative motor trim. Now it is get it on the plane, trim the motor out so it is running free and trim in as far as you want with the tabs for whatever ride you want. 24-26 knots in any conditions and around 29 knots for a fast cruise at 5000RPM. We had to cut through the boarding platforms and made our own SS brackets to work with the angle of the top of the Bennetts. Also saw a Seafarer the other day that went through his platforms but back to the hull. Will shoot some pics today.

dnej
21-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Gidday everyone,
This is an interesting post. What are the main benefits of fitting trim tabs, as apposed to a foil on the motor.
Regards David

Sportfish_5
21-07-2004, 11:50 AM
David

Trim tabs allow you to trim the boat itself correctly. Tabs allow you to correct wind heel (lean) or uneven weight distribution and for mono hulls allows you to let the vee do the talking when travelling into a head sea while still having the prop at the best trim angle. The trim on the engine is then only used to adjust the prop to the most efficient operating angle.

I am fitting tabs to my boat because of the wind heel problem suffered with any breeze over 10 knts. This causes the boat to pound as the vee cannot cut through the chop.

Never had a foil but as far as I know foils only help in getting more lift to get a boat on and stay on the plane quickly or with lower hp/rpm but I will stand corrected on that.

Cheers

Greg

Smithy
21-07-2004, 11:54 AM
You get more down trim with the tabs plus you can keep the boat upright depending on load and wind strength (most boats lean into the wind). A tucked in motor (negative trim) is also less efficient as all that thrust is being directed down and not horizontal to the water. Nothing stopping you having both. We have fitted the Lazilas foils with the tabs. They have got to help and it now has no dead spots in the lower rev ranges. Getting on the plane was never an issue with 225 ponies but she did like a boot full.

dnej
21-07-2004, 12:07 PM
OK. Getting the idea, and have looked at the noted web site. How do the tabs compliment sealed pod extensions?

I have modified my cuddy cab, ( aluminium)with two 80 litre pods, one on each side of the motor. Gets on the plane very quickly,and the motor needs less trimming. (Still have the foil attached but was considering taking it off)
Would fitting the foils, still give a good result?
David

Smithy
05-08-2004, 11:48 AM
The tabs on the 702.

Smithy
05-08-2004, 11:49 AM

Smithy
05-08-2004, 11:50 AM
We had to make these little brackets up to make them work and get through the boarding platforms either side.

Smithy
05-08-2004, 11:51 AM
We had to do the extra fibreglassing (bog with fibres in it) which we are in the process of tidying up as the brackets flexed a bit with the forces involved.

Smithy
05-08-2004, 11:53 AM
We are making up these little SS covers to hide everything and protect the hydraulic hose.

aido
05-08-2004, 12:57 PM
hi smithy,
shame you had to cut through the boarding platforms like that.
attaching the ram to the transom and moving the bracket
on the trim tab might have given better geometry and nothing to hide.
all the same, guess the mounting doesn't change the performance gains.
cheers, aido.

Smithy
06-08-2004, 04:17 AM
To throw into the equation you also have to get the height right on the transom (above or below deck level) so you can run the hydraulic lines. Don't worry we thought about where to put them 2 days constantly and had them in about 15 different places with different options for getting the hydraulic lines back to the pump.