PDA

View Full Version : 200hp Evinrude R.I.P.

SeaSaw
04-08-2004, 07:03 PM
[smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Well after 600 hours of good reliable service my 200 hp Evinrude is destined for the wreckers :( About two weeks ago one bank stopped getting spark, so I thought I would be up for a new Stator and/or Power Pack. I had it booked in today for some diagnostics and I was right, the Stator has failed, however the reason for the failure caused me to decide not to fix it.

It turns out that there were NO bolts left holding the top bearing in place (one had sheared off and the rest were just missing in action - vibrated loose ??? - who knows). Anyway the result is that the top bearing and crank shaft were basically floating and had been grinding against each other and against the stator.

It could be repaired, but to do it properly would require a new crank shaft $3,700, a new stator and power pack $1,000 and labour about $1,000 plus any other small extras leaving a total bill up around $6,000. >:( And that is only the known cost.

It is not possible to tell how long this has been happening but from the wear on the parts it has been like this for a while. The thing that tipped it over the edge is knowing that the only place all the metal filings could be is down inside the engine, so who knows how badly worn everything else is. So once the engine is pulled down, I could find myself up for even more, and, it could end up costing $10,000 to end up with a smokey, vibrating, gas guzzling 2 stroke that is still two thirds old parts and worth about $5,500 according to glass's guide. :'( Doesn't sound like a good investment to me, so it is time to retire the old girl.

Now to start looking at new or near new engines. At least the boat show is coming up and there might be some good deals going. ;) What is it to be, Yamaha, Honda, Mercury, Evinrude, Suzuki - 2 stroke or 4 ? Maybe a new 225 Etec - they are being released next month - is it worth the risk? So many choices, NO MONEY to spare ???

Looks like I am destined to become a deckie for the next few months.

Mark

phewy
04-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Sad Mark :-[, but you've plenty of time for research. Good luck in the decision. Heaps of good motors going around now with new technology. All the new EFI/DI 4's look good as do the E-tec's. And what about that new supercharged Merc, bit expensive I spose, and untested. :)

mackmauler
04-08-2004, 07:20 PM
sorry to here that mark :o >:( check out dazzas 680 looks good with a big 4 on it :-* the 4s seem to go the distance, flogged the couple of small ones ive had way over the 1000 hr mark without even a splutter! good luck in future.
rob

NQCairns
04-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi Mark, want a different view on your motor.>>>Yes, good ;D

Crank repair = $200 (good as new unless bent/twisted, but it's not)
Stator and pack = $500 (usa)
New bearing and assemb = $150 (usa?)
Other bits and pieces = $600 (usa)
Labour = ?

Any bits and pieces that fell in would only have made it to one cyl, they are all self contained with seals at the crank between cyl. What was the compression readings for all the cylinders esp the nearest one to the top/bearing??
Get a second/third opinion, sometimes....how can I put it? advice is slanted towards a new sale or to get a cheap fixup to onsell.nq

SeaSaw
04-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

nq, your advice has made me thing again. I will get a second opinon for peace of mind. The engine is getting old now, so I have been thinking about repowering anyway, but it might result in getting a better trade value.

The guy who looked at the engine actually didn't try to sell me a new one. Although he does sell new engines, he advised that the dealers will be offering boat show special prices that he couldn't match and he wont have a stand at the show. He wasn't interested in anything but providing my servicing, so i don't think he had other motives. In fact he would have made a lot more by convincing me to fix the engine .... but a second opinion is warranted.

Thanks,

Mark

dazza
05-08-2004, 04:30 AM
hi mark,
sorry to hear about your motor. don't despair, hopefully we can get out on the water soon.
best thing we ever did was get rid of the 2 stroke and put a 4 stroke on.
currently running a 17 inch 4 blade solas prop, cruising speed is 25 knots, uses 30-35 litres per hour @ 4200-4500rpm.
when are you going to the boat show? if i am not working and you have a spare seat i might hitch a ride
cheers
dazza

Smithy
05-08-2004, 05:00 AM
How about a second hand 1997 225 Yamaha EFI 2 stroke with 400 hours? We are looking at putting a 4 stroke on a 702 Signature because we troll for Marlin a bit. For bottom bouncing it would be fine. At 4500 RPM (most economical revs by a Navman GPS with fuel flow transducer) we are doing 26-27 knots and consuming 45 l/h for an economy rate of 0.53 Nm/l. Before they got into cats Damon Olsen had a 680 HH. They started out with the big OMC but repowered with one of these EFI Yammies pretty early on because of the better economy over the carby one. It isn't much but it is a bit. I have seen fuel figures of 90-100 l/h for the OMC and Mercs at full throttle but this Yamaha is around 72 l/h for 35 knots. Other features of this motor are at low revs it drops down to 4 cylinders to save fuel - bit like the inline Mercs. Also has an oil reservior under the cowl as well as the remote reservoir with all sorts of limp home features.

Obviously if you can scrape together the cash for something new in high tech fuel injection or 4 stroke that will be the go but if you decide to go seconhand and not repower get in touch with me. I have also spread sheeted all the consumption figures on 200-225s out of F&B magazine to get a feel for how they all stack up which I will send to you.

-spiro-
05-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Mark, if your intrested you can come for a fish at the banks with myself soon. The only problem is the plate is a harder ride than your glass, but if your ok with that pm me. Ive been in your situation at Chritmas and i opted to get a new exchange power head.

Reel-Job
05-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news mark ! But you know that the Old Neighbour nextdoor has a spare seat anytime you want a ride.LIKE THE OLD DAYS :-X.but you will have to rough it a bit in the Yalta .A trip in Spiro boat sounds good maybe we can get togeather for a trip to the Banks in 2 boats.I would get a second opinion if I was you about the motor because to me it still sounds like a good running motor whenever you start it up, and don't forget that $18-$25.000 for a new motor will work out to $36-$50.000 after giving the Cook the same to spend at the shops. :D :o hey Donna ;) IF you want to go let me know you know where I live

caveman
05-08-2004, 02:57 PM
seasaw if you don't get it fixed let me know what the wreckers are going to give you as we have a 200hp evinrude on our boat and yours may be allright for spares

searaider
05-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Mark ,
Sorry to hear of the bad news on the motor . It's areal pain trying to deciding what to do in these situations .
I'm more than happy with my 150 HDFI Yamaha , its heaps better on fuel than my old 115 Evinrude Ocean Pro .
If the 200 is similar it may be an option .

Get to the boatshow & screw the daylights out of all the salesmen , hopefully you will get a reasonable price on a new motor .

Peter
Searaider 2

SeaSaw
05-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Dazza, I will give you a call when I know what day I will be heading to the boat show. Could be a good day out as I will be putting the hard word on as many dealers as possible, as suggested by Searaider.

Spiro & Reel Job, It would be great to get out with you while the boat is out of action. Spiro, I will bring a back brace and my secret GPS marks for the Banks (and of course chip in for the costs).

Caveman, if it ends up being a wreckers job, I will let you know how much they offer and you can have first call on it (it is a 93 model)

Thanks all,

Mark

SeaSaw
05-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi Reel-Job

I totally agree that a shopping spree sounds fair (equal to the value of the motor) !! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Do you think Mrs Reel-Job would like to go shopping too? ;D I'm sure we could quite easily put a dent in the credit card.

Regards
Mrs Sea-Saw

SeaSaw
05-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Reel-Job,

What have you done [smiley=rifle.gif] ;D In one post you have put me into debt for the next 20 years and turned Ausfish into an online shopping mall. [smiley=helpa.gif]

I knew I shouldn't have let Mrs SeaSaw read this post [smiley=whip.gif]

Help Me

Mark

Reel-Job
05-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Mrs Sea-Saw
Go Hard and go fast and shop till you drop with that credit card ,If you like I can give you some good Ebay sites to look at.What's 20 years [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=earmuffs.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

dfox
06-08-2004, 02:05 PM
mark, break the budjet and put on a 225 4 stroke yammy. il take ya for a run to keep you in practice...

boatboy50
06-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey Seasaw,
Another option. There is a second hand 225 Honda /4 in the trading post today for around 14k i think.
No idea of hours or condition, but cant have too many, they are still a novelty.
Regards
Darren