PDA

View Full Version : Foil for 3.85 explorer

big_george
19-07-2004, 04:28 AM
Hi Guys n Girls.
Just about to take delivery of a new Quinny Trophy Explorer 3.85 with a new 25 HP Hi-Tech yammy.
Looking at installing a foil to improve the hull preformance.
Any brands or models that are better than others.???
Reagards george.

Big_Muddie
19-07-2004, 11:43 AM
George,

You're sure to get many opinions. I have a 4.2M Explorer and it has had 2 motors on it over time - a 30HP Merc Lite and currently a 40HP Yammie 4S. I put a suitable Permatrim foil on each motor with very impressive results.

I haven't tried any other type of foil so my experience is limited. All I can say is that I have absolutely no reason to try any other type.

BTW, the reasons I put the foil on each motor were:

to improve planing performance
to reduce cavitation during turns
to improve trim of the boat

cheno
19-07-2004, 02:02 PM
George,

I have had that exact same boat and motor combination. In my opinion you really don't need a foil at all.

Whether or not you really need one will ultimately depend upon the weight distribution after you have fully set the boat up. You might want to try it out a bit first. You might save a coupl of bucks.

It will be a pretty quick, stable fishing platform that you will be happy with. The 25hp hi-tech yammies use hardly any fuel too [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

BTW Are you getting short shaft or long shaft?

Cheno

big_george
19-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Cheno.
Thanks for the info mate.
Have the long shaft motor.Will be bolting it on next weekend when I pick the hull and trailer up from Forster NSW.
Did you have to put any packing under the motor mount to get good preformance.???.
BG

cheno
19-07-2004, 04:04 PM
sure did.

I raised mine about an inch using a block of wood and then I thru-bolted it in place.

big_george
20-07-2004, 03:27 AM
cheno.
Thanks mate.
Cheers george. ;)

clutter
20-07-2004, 05:09 PM
The Lazer Foils from Solas Props are pretty good. I have one on my Yammy 40 4stroke and goes like a beauty.

cheers,

Clutter

Squizy
21-07-2004, 03:33 AM
I have the exact same boat that you are talking about 385 Quinnie It has a Johnson 25 on it and quite a large Foil, the Motor has , as Cheno stated, "been raised by way of a block of wood and Bolted." I do not know what the Hull performance is like without the Foil as it was there when I purchased the boat; however, the boat sticks like glue, with exceptional handling ability. I will find out what type of foil it is and let you know.

basserman
21-07-2004, 12:26 PM
i also have a 385 throphy but i have a 25 merc 2st and even though it is a lite donk i found i had to put a foil on it after it was fully set up for lure fishing but it was only put on so i would get out of the hole and on the plane quicker with a full boat
the ones i went of was a two pieace called LZ-Hoydrofoil and i only payed $20 for the set now i can't complian fast on the plane and haven't lost any speed
but my boat does get loaded right up and if i didn't have everything in it and was only useing the boat for plain old fish there would be no way you would need one ;D

aussiebasser
21-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Let's see, Big George and Swano at the back of a 385 Explorer. I'll check with my brother and see if he can find a pair of wings off an FA 18. That should lift the bugger up. If not, I'd go with the cheap LZ's, that's what I had on my Explorer with 25hp Merc.

big_george
07-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks Boys.
Testing the boat in a few days time. 8) 8)
Regards george. ;)