PDA

View Full Version : 50hp tiller steer

Commodore
07-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Just wondering if any Aus fisho’s have a 50 tiller steer? I am looking at a new tub: 5.35 seajay magnum with 50 - 4stroke yammie on the back. :D
I am used to smaller tiller steer but have not had a lot of time with anything over 30hp, any pros…cons…heavy on the arm in sea?
I have noticed most boats with a 50 have a hydrofoil??
Any feed back would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Matt

Zeeke
07-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Mackmauler has a 50 4stroker Tiller on his tub, he'll prolly spark up and let ya know how it goes

mackmauler
07-08-2004, 09:58 AM
i have a 40 actually but used 50s and 60s for tiller to, i can go several hours without any arm fatigue at all, smooth as silk they are.
rob

Commodore
07-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks Rob, what size tub did you have the 50 on? did you have a foil?
Matt

phewy
07-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Heard that the new Yammie 50hp tiller 4 strokes now have something like a cruise control for slow speed trolling. Can adjust the revs up/down in 50rpm lots. :)

mr_phishy
07-08-2004, 01:24 PM
I have a 50hp Yamaha 2stroke. Its a 2001 model. Great engine, but is a little heavy on my left arm after a few hours motoring. Has a hydrawlic piston to aid raising and lowering which is invaluable on anything over 40hp. Your 4st will probably have pwr trim and tilt. I bought it near new and previous owner put a "perma trim" hydrofoil, i was sceptical so took it off and ran engine. I put it back on straight away...

If i was to upgrade it would definatly get the 4stroke.

Mick

megafish71
07-08-2004, 05:06 PM
A good mate of mine up in the Territory ran a 50hp yamy 4 banger on the back of his 4.9 ally craft v nose punt for many years. He was a fishing guide up there and averaged 9 hrs a day on the tiller ( mainly trolling in the billabongs or big rivers ). Spent quite a few hours on the tiller myself and no probs with the left arm. By the way the yamy is a great choice my mates outboard had 5400 odd hours on it when he up graded to a newy. Never had any probs with it, only kept up with the services. Go and buy it you wont be dissapointed.
Cheers Ron

clutter
07-08-2004, 07:32 PM
A mate runs a 60hp 4 stroke yammy on the back of his 435 Hornet Trophy. Loves it. Just a tip though, get a trim and tilt switch and put it in the gunwall where your right hand is, makes it alot easier than using the one on the tiller handle.

Clutter

The_Walrus
07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Have to agree with you Clutter.

I have a 25/4 yammy on the back of my Seajay. Opting out for electric start and trim N till was the best thing I did.

Just make certain that where you have the remote trim button, its away from your knees. It may be worth putting a small alum angle to protect it from accidental contact.

Luc

Commodore
08-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks Fellas, some good feed back. Yep I’m very keen on the new fuel injected 4 stroke yammie with elec start trim & tilt with the remote tilt switch. Just got to get the Girls to bless my findings ::) and organise the $$$$ and we could be mobile again. ;D
Thanks,
Matt