PDA

View Full Version : How to set up 27Mhz radio

joeT
09-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to install a basic 27Mhz radio in my 4.1m tinny, just wondering what i need to set it up. I already have a battery in the boat, just wondering if I need to install an arial of some kind or anything else. I'm kinda new to all this.

Also, any recommended brands etc? I would like to keep costs down as much as I can, hence the 27Mhz radio. I'll be staying within fairly sheltered waters and sometimes in the bay up to peel.

Thanks

propdinger
09-08-2004, 02:22 PM
you will need a ariel and the 27mhz radio and power very simple to install if you are abit of a handy man. I would say for price uniden are cheaper than gme best to shop around before buying one and if the budget can stretch abit further get a vhf and ariel better coverage and more people are using it as 27m will be fased out (so i have been told??)

cheers
jeff

Hagar
09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey Joe
Pretty basic stuff mate .

1. Pick a spot in the boat that offers some weather protection. Make sure the radio is marine frequencies and not CB .

2. Mount radio . Most come with a bracket .

3. Buy a marine 27 meg aerial . The shorter GME ones with swivel base and detachable aerial are good on smaller boats.

4. Hook power cable to a convenient supply . Get the +ve and -ve correct or you will toast it . Most have a fuse holder built into the cable for melt down protection .

5. Screw aerial cable knurled end onto the plug at the back of the radio and the mike goes onto the front one . Turn her on !

There are no adjustments needed if you use this type of aerial that I am aware of . Sorry if this is set out too basic but I do not know your expertise level mate .

Chris

basserman
09-08-2004, 02:29 PM
unidens are the pick for sure and as already stated very basic to install just make sure you have some sort of access to the fuse incase it does blow or come losse as the have a habbit of doing ;D
most boats down here on the mid north coast NSW have the 27mhz only a few have the vhf and even then they still have the 27mhz ;D
a well balenced unit should get you a good singnle of over 50kms i know my unit have a range greater then that as even in port macquarie i recive foster and they recive me thats about 100kms ;D