PDA

View Full Version : Disabling oil injection in the Yamaha 40

Burley_Boy
27-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I've lived with the convenience of oil injection in my 86model Yammie 40 ("Precision Blend"). Some of the posts have made me think it might be safest to disconnect the oil injection and go to a premix (50/1 I think).

What are the thoughts there and does anyone know the details of how to go about it and disable the oil sensors.

I'm being a bit lazy here but there are so many brilliant people on here I thought why reinvent the wheel ;D

blaze
27-07-2004, 02:53 PM
I reckon if your warning system are working and checked regular, leave it alone, I always carry a spare fuel tank and a litre or 2 of oil for emergencies, never had to use it yet, but its always there if i need to mix fuel for aux o/board if needed
some will say buy a 4 banger
cheers
blaze

Kerry
27-07-2004, 03:11 PM
If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Maintained right, checked right, used right then there really shouldn't be problem. If it starts to worry you that much then get rid of it and buy a premix model to start with.

Cheers, Kerry.

Burley_Boy
27-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Next one will be a 4 stroke mainly for economy and smell reasons!

Never had an issue with it and always carry a spare oil tin just like you blaze.

Now over to checking the warning systems.... if the oil injector decides to clog and for whatever reason the oil is not getting injected even though there is plenty in the tank, then I thought the next warning was the grind of metal to metal before she siezed. :(

dnej
28-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Talk to a professional fisherman, he will probable say disconnect the system and go pre mix
David

craigie
28-07-2004, 09:48 AM
A mate has just been hit by this exact problem :'(
His 1999 model 70hp, 2 stroke Johno with no more than a couple of hundred hrs on it has been found to be total shot from not enough oil being injected, it's a bloody disaster :'(
Quote for the re-build is $5000 !!!

Anyone got a suggestion for me old mate (apart from disconnect the oil and do a pre-mix :P) ?

Cheers Craig.

dnej
28-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Spoke to an old salt this AM, and he particularly mentioned Johnson. Its too late by the time the buzzer goes off apparently.
Your mate needs to do some research into the year model, and the associated problem with that model.Some had up to 12 faults,and quite frankly, a rebuild may not fix the problem.

Sometimes a new power head is the only answer. A mate of mine lucked in, and had a later model replacement power head fitted for 3000,by Northside Marine.

They certainly would steer you in the right direction
If it were me, I would spend the 5000 on a second hand Yammie.
David

craigie
28-07-2004, 01:26 PM
David, thanks for the reply. The motor is still in pieces with Springwood Marine(forgot there new name) and my mate is still contemplating it's future and looking at his options. Funny thing was he was seriously looking at a trade-up just a couple of months back before he suspected there was anything wrong with it, oh to turn back the clock :P
He may have to just walk away from it and start again, although he still ows for the labour to pull it down.

Honestly, when you buy an outboard you expect years/hundreds of hours of trouble free motoring, bloody expensive toy to have to replace prematurely.

Sorry Burley-Boy for the hi-jack, just saw an opportunity to jump-in for a whinge ;D Hope you get some answers to your question.

Cheers
Craig

Cheech
28-07-2004, 04:58 PM
BB, a few months ago in Queensland fishing monthly, the guy that does the outboard articles covered this exact issue. Unfortunately for me he also had my exact motor as his example and said DISCONNECT NOW.

Bloody hell. I love not having to mix.

Spoke to my mechanic and he said that as long as I keep an eye on the oil levels then I should be ok. Said that a short period of low level oil should not be a problem.

I decided to continue with the oil bottle and just check the levels after use.

Burley_Boy
11-08-2004, 05:42 PM
No problems Craigie, you may hijack to your hearts content especially when I'm off skiing ;D

If I'm to retain the oil injection then I thought it would be a good idea to service it and the 100hr service list says check the oil injection to all cylinders. Anyone know how?