PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Motor - how to fix?

keen_as_mustard
03-08-2004, 06:26 AM
This may sound like a stupid question but my motor is very stiff to turn and I can't find out how to fix it. The motor is a 20hp yamaha long shaft, probably early 90's model (light grey). It has forward controls and I have lubricated the steering arm and cable - i have even disconnected the steering arm from the motor and it is still stiff. I have found a gease point about halfway down the motor and pumped till the grease comes out the join but that made little difference.

I'm guessing the stiffness is at the top of the shaft (under the motor) where I thought there would have been another grease point but I cannot find one.

Does anyone know now I can fix this?

Thanks

Marty

NQCairns
03-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Jee these Yamahas sure are troublesome lately :D. This is a stupid question but have you losened the adjusting screw on the shaft beside the leg that controlls the steering stiffness. Dont know if you have one on that motor??

keen_as_mustard
03-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the reply nqcairns.

I forgot to mention that in my original post, but yes I did find that bolt/screw and backed it off but it made minimal difference. I even tried forcing some grease in there but that didn't seem to help either.

I am starting to believe the lower grease point feeds the entire shaft but my shaft is gummed up and the grease won't get up that far - is this the case?

Marty

blaze
03-08-2004, 11:32 AM
maybe you can try a bit of penetrene or something sprayed around the pivit points over a period of time and see if it soaks in an frees up and then grease. if you have access to compressed air, some times by spraying with pentrene and then blowing with compressed air will sometimes clean the gummed grease out
cheers
blaze

predator
03-08-2004, 04:29 PM
try some heat from a heatgun or a high powered hair dryer to melt the grease in the housing.... then pump in some fresh grease.... makes a mess, but nothing that cant be cleaned up..
Worked on a johnno I used to own... :)

familyman
03-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Predator is on the right track with heat .I had an old 50 merc with similar problem.I used a propane gas burner with no effect and then upgraded weaponry to an oxy acetylene set with the desired result.Presto,nice free steering.Two things however,the tilt assembly will be cast alum. so dont concentrate torch in place too long as you will do damage to the metal ie heat it all over.The other thing is to keep moving the motor while applying heat and then plenty of grease after the tilt assembly cools down to a temp that you can just touch for a second without burning your fingers.A good temperature guide is to remove the heat if the grease at the pivot boils.

ps :drain the fuel out and remove the tank/s before trying this fix.

keen_as_mustard
11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Predator and Family Man,

Thanks for the advice - your help has worked for me.

I used a propane torch which managed to free the grease in the top of the shaft and allow me to pump fresh grease from the bottom grease point. I didn't get it real hot and only managed to get the grease moving down one side of the leg, but it is still a huge improvement.

Thanks again

Martin