PDA

View Full Version : Corosion protection of outboard

Burley_Boy
12-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Just totally cleaned my outboard engine down to the paint. I know that people spray their engines with stuff to stop corosion. What to use? WD40, Inox, CRC??

zoley
12-08-2004, 10:43 AM
INOX.

moondancer
12-08-2004, 02:37 PM
INOX is great stuff (but messy) I buy the 5 litre comtgainers and use the little half litre spray bottle to do my motor and trailer. I do the trailer 3 - 4 times a year, specially around the springs, axles, wheels (not brakes) etc., and the motor twice a year .

Robbo_Townsville
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
I have used Inox in the past and was happy with it, trying Lanoguard 3000 at the moment and it by all reports is maybe even better.

moondancer
13-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Hi Robbo,

is the Lanogard a better 'sticking' product do you think? If so, better and longer protection I guess.

lawry

basserman
13-08-2004, 10:32 AM
lanogard is better but of a motor i would stick with the inox and lanogard is the bees knees when it come to trailers and other things that are to stay in the elements
BUT it is very smelly

Payneful
13-08-2004, 11:34 AM
I use lanogard for everything. However i would agree with basserman as inox,crc or wd40 for the motor as i feel it is a better at dispalcing water. The only problem with wd40 is that it not as good protectant (unless applied regularly) lanogard sorta dries to a sticky finish, sorta stays where you put it. Good for spraying on the insides of doors etc.

My 2 cents

Sam.

Barry
13-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I also believe in using Inox but have been told not to use too much over the electrical wiring as it can get absorbed into the insulation and cause break down in the insulation of the wiring ??? Don't know how true this is?

Robbo_Townsville
13-08-2004, 03:38 PM
They all have there claims and there good and bad points. As I am getting older I am starting to lean towards the more natural products (that is products not based on petroleum or aerosole). I find the Lanoguard is ok for just about everything.

Good to be able to have just the one bottle in the shed that has so many uses.

Hagar
13-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Burley
Had this very discussion with my dealer mechanic last week . He says he has gone back to only using silicone sprays until some longer time results from some of the new products is proven . He has had to replace wiring looms ( rubber covered wiring ) on older model outboards that have basically had the rubber insulation breakdown from using some of these sprays causing shorting. Newer outboards mainly have plastic insulation and the problem is not as great - just don't spray any rubber components . A product beginning with I . . x was one he mentioned . Bought a can of silicone spray from him for mine . Check with your mechanic first .

Chris

Morlers
14-08-2004, 03:27 PM
I understand Inox is not good long term on rubber and the Inox web site recommends not to use it for that. That is why they developed Lanox (lanolin based) which is good for just about anything. I use it on just about anything, even on all the boat's vinyl as it is a great vinyl rejuvenator and protector.

:) :)

Morlers

Burley_Boy
14-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys this has been an interesting thread, I've got a can of Silicone spray I might start with. Got a can of Lanolin at work I might borrow too but I'll start with the Silicone spray. I wondered what the layers of flaky crud was on the engine but I now realise that it was deposits of some sort of spray accumulated over the years. Looks great when cleaned off and I'll start the new layers from now on. :)