PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft 455 live bait tank ideas

cheno
14-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Looking for ideas of the best place to put a live bait tank in a Polycraft 455 centre console.

I have ruled out the front bin as I need it for storage and dont really need a livewell at this stage. I have got it down to either:

option A. Putting a bemuda tank on the transom that sits on top of one of the flotation pods. one of those wedge shaped boxes they do.

pros: easily removable, easy to plumb and slightly larger capacity than option B.

cons: more weight on the transom. hard to access when the boat is rolling around outside

option B: sink a smaller platic tank into one of the stern quarter seats.

pros: easy to access in a sea. less weight on arse of boat

cons: smaller tank capacity = less livies and more deadies, slightly more hassle to fit (skin fittings etc)

If anyone has done either or has done it another way I'd be keen to from them

Cheers

cheno

phewy
14-08-2004, 08:03 AM
G'day Cheno,If you haven't already, look at marks (bayfirey) front runner, has some good ideas inc rear bait tank and a magnificent tackle storage locker under seat. One day want to do the same to ours. Here is link to his poly page. http://reelfun.mchap.com/

bay_firey
14-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Cheno

You can't (well I suppose you can if you want to) sink a tank into the rear quarter seat as the seats are essential to the structural integrity of the hull.

As phewy said, have a look at mine, the lid on mine is hinged closest to the transome but they are now doing them the other way.

If the boat is rolling around, just sit/kneel yourself on the seat and access is easy

cheno
14-08-2004, 03:38 PM
bay_firey,

That tank of yours looks the goods. Who makes them?
I thought yours was a custom job.

cheno

piscator
14-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Cheno
I've had the same problem/question and came up with this which meant I didnt have to drill any holes to mount the pump.
The setup works pretty well, although as you can see you lose the standing space right at the motor.Its not ideal, I like Fierys bin better but didnt want to spend that much.

The bin was from bunnings, so was the pool pipe for the overflow. All the rest came from Whitworths.

The greenish tinge in the lid is from a piece of closed cell yoga mat glued in as an effort to make the lid watertight(didn't work so Ill have to look at sealing it and popping a cutting board lid hinged on the top).

Its 57l capacity, so it does add a bit of weight down the back when full but its not really a hassle as these things sit pretty well high in the water anyway.

piscator
14-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Heres a pic of the pump placement. The other thing I need add is some sort of screw in pickup for flow through while under way. The beauty of using one of the bungs as the hole through the skins is also the fact that if there some sort of major malfunction and water starts pouring into the hull you just lean over and screw in the bung and shes watertight again.
Cheers
Brett

bay_firey
15-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Cheno

Your are spot on, the tank is a custom made job.
It was made the local plastics guy