PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft Boats

keen_Fisherman
19-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi There,

I am a newbie to this site and also to the boating scene.
Recently I've been researching and looking at some boats.
One that caught my eye and I am quite interested in is the Polycraft 5.99m Centre Console. Main reason as to why this boat caught my eye was because it is made from plastic and not the conventional fibreglass or aluminium.

Does anyone on this chatboard own or have experienced these type of plastic boats? And if so what in your opinion are the pro's and con's of owning a plastic boat.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Keen Fisherman

basserman
19-08-2004, 04:17 PM
there are a number of blokes that own these boat and of late their has been a fair bit written about them on this site so i would surgest looking back over the last ten or so pages
but if you have trouble finding more info just ask again

the MAIN MAN to speak to about these boat goes by Brett Finger
he has a fair bit to do with polycraft and will be able to answer all your qestions ;D

phewy
19-08-2004, 06:55 PM
We purchased a poly4.55 about 6-months ago and think it's fantastic. The main thing that attracted us was the price, saved thousands over similar glass and alloy boats. Pros are price, smooth ride, ease of maintenance (virtually nil), no painting, no polishing, no cracked welds, no corrosion, no electrolysis (have a flick thru forum pages and look at all the hassles boaties have with alloy boats re- electrolysis, dissimilar metals, corrosion, sinkers on floor, cracking welds etc), easy repairs to scratches and gouges with heat gun, perfect weight, ability to secure accessories easily (8/10g stainless screws), unsinkable, very stable, bounce off rocks/stumps etc (hit a big rock in ours that stopped us in our tracks and would have holed a glass and seriously dented an alloy, only left slight scratch invisible from 2 feet away), and many more. Cons are...only one I can think of is its limited but workable storage/locker space, maybe others know more. We absolutely love ours and have not one complaint [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]
Won't post a pic up cos most people have seen it and just takes room and load time, but here is link if you want to look - http://members.optusnet.com.au/paulhew/newpolycraft/poly.jpg

keen_Fisherman
19-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey Basserman,

Thanks for the advise....I have clicked back several pages and have found a fair bit of info on the 4.55 series.

Anyone had any experience with the 5.99m>????

Phewy: Had a look at your pics. Nice boat you have there.
Did you look at many other's before deciding on the poly?

phewy
19-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes, looked at many alloys and fibreglass boats the same size inc savage, stacer, quintrex and seajay at a show until the Polycaft caught our eye. Expected the price to be more than the others due to its advantages but were pleasantly surprised when told it was considerably lower!!! Only seen pics of the big 5.99 beast. Looks a killer boat. Love the pics of the guys at poly lying inside the boat. Bloody big!! :D

keen_Fisherman
20-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Phewy: I see that you did a fair bit of shopping around before deciding on the 4.55

The 5.99 does look like beast, maybe Brett can shed some light on this one? Hard to find boat tests on this model even on google :)

bay_firey
20-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Keen

The 6.0 is still only very new on the market. There was a couple of posts a short while ago about the test days that the polycraft guys ran with very favourable reports

If the big boy is anything like (and i have no doubt that it is probably even better) the 4.55 then you will not be sorry with one

Here (http://reelfun.mchap.com)are some shots of mine