PDA

View Full Version : Mustang 2000 Tournament

Ebs
15-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts or knowledge on this model boat. eg. rough water capability, cruising speeds, etc.
Cheers,
Mick

megafish71
15-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Don't know much about these Ebs, but I haven't met a mustang owner yet that hasn't described their boats as wet,wet,wet. So make sure that it has got a good set of clears on it.
Ron

Ebs
17-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks Ron, I have read that the 2150 & 2250 models are known as wet boats, but the only reports I have found for the tournament comments that the boat rides soft, high & therefore dry!!??

Does anyone else out there know anything about these hulls.
I believe they are the same as the Bermuda 2000 Bluewater!

Cheers,
Mick

boatboy50
18-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey Ebbs,
Do a search, this topic was covered about 2 months ago.
I drive this hull every day in the form of a bowrider water taxi, and yes, it is a good one. There are lots of these water taxi hulls around oz, which says something in itself.
Its soft riding, smooth, and dry in all but the roughest conditions.
The negatives are that its tender at rest, leans lots into the wind when the conditions are right for it, and needs to be driven to get the most from it. Its a sports boat hull, but adapts well as a fisho. Doesnt handle weight well, especially in the form of a four stroke outboard on the stern.
Theres plenty of these hulls around, they are also very similar to the Freedom 6.0 hull.
The new Mustang 2000 is still pretty much the same hull.
It is true, they were manufactured by Mercury as the Bluewater for a while also, in sterndrive and outboard.
Regards
Darren

Ebs
19-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Darren,

I have searched for the topic as you suggested, but have come up blank.
Can you assist?

PS. What motor are you running?

Cheers,
Mick

davo189
19-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Hey Guys, most reports about boats being "WET" are usually started by opposition manufacturers. I have a 2250 and it is NOT a wet boat in the usual offshore conditions. The hull has a reverse chine through to bow like many of the other glass boats in this class. It also has a deep V which gives a soft ride which is great for offshore work.
Having said this, I would point out that any boat regardless of the brand can be wet if the conditions are that way inclined. (ie. running home with 20kts of NE up ya arse and you are into the chop/swell on a 45 degree angle.)

Cheers, Davo.

boatboy50
19-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey Ebbs,
We run a 200hp Optimax Mercury on ours, and its a powerful sports boat.
Weve had the boat for years, and originally had a 175hp EFI on it. We neede extra power for carrying big loads, but for you, 175hp is heaps.
Theres plenty of the sports boat cabin versions around with 175hp Omc outboards.
Ive seen them with all sorts of power. 225hp Honda and 130hp Honda are to heavy for it, and loses its performance some what.
My uncle had the Bluewater version with sterndrive, and seemed to like it, but he didnt know too much about boats, so comparisons are hard.
Cruise with the 200hp Opti at 4000 revs is around 27/28 knots.
Regards
Darren

Ebs
19-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi Darren,
It only has a 150 Evinrude on it. What's your thoughts on this size engine on this hull?
Cheers,
Mick

boatboy50
20-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey Ebbs,
It all depends on what you want to do.
The 150 wont break any records, but will be adequate enough.
Itd be fine for me, but maybe not for you.
Are you running any coastal bars? Do you want to ski? Do you want to use lots and lots of fuel? Are you going to load the boat with 6 people and s**tloads of gear?
If the answer is no to all those questions, the 150 will be fine. That engine is still based on the same block as the 200, but is slightly de-tuned, so has plenty of grunt down low, just not the top end of the 200.
Ive seen some with a 115 2 stroke, and also others with a 130 four stroke, so im sure a 150/2 will do the job.
You should still get around 32 knots or so top end out of the 150.
Regards
Darren

Ebs
24-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Hey Darren,
Thought I would give some feedback.
Test drove unit on the weekend & was pleasantly suprised with performance.
150 Evinrude Ocean Pro spinning a 19" prop produced 29.5 knots @ 4000rpm and 39 knots @ 5300rpm.
This was with 3 people on board with full canopy & clears in place. Had a good holeshot up on the plane in quite short time. Overall quite happy as it should suit my usage.

Again thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Mick.

boatboy50
24-08-2004, 03:42 PM
No worries mate,
Do you mind me asking what year model it is, and how much they were asking for it?
That is very spritely performance, better than i expected, up there with our 200 Opti.
The 19" prop is a big one, designed obviously for more speed.
If you wanted better holeshot for skiing, or a slower trolling speed, a smaller prop may be called for.
Youll be very happy with the hull performance, i was thinking how good ours is this morning.
Regards
Darren