PDA

View Full Version : Launching Problems from Off-Road Trailer

Rubes
23-08-2004, 06:14 AM
I’m new to this – but thanks for all the info – I think I’ve learnt more from this site than I ever did at school.

I am the proud owner of my first boat – a 4.5m Bluefin Warrior. Very happy with it.

I paid extra dough and had the trailer made by an independant mob that made an offroad trailer for a boat that size with a beam of less than 2.3m (the Warrior has a 2.15m beam). This also had the bonus of running the same rims (15”) & tyres as the Nissan. I got what I think is quite a good sturdy trailer, however due to the mudguards the skids are high and the boat has to sit very high on what is already a high trailer.

This has created a lot of difficulty in actually launching the boat, which pretty much has to be floated off the trailer (we have generally disconnected the trailer and walked it out into the water). This is no good now that we’ve moved back up north and there are a few toothy handbags in the water to contend with. The boat just doesn’t seem to slide on the skids at all.

The trailer does have a break-back but this doesn’t seem to help. I opted for skids over rollers due to their sturdiness.

Any advice on what could make launching easier? I’ve heard of Teflon strips for the skids – will these help? This is pretty frustrating, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Rubes
23-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Here's a pretty ordinary photo of the boat & trailer if it helps.

dnej
23-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Your boat should not actually be sitting on the skids,they are for support only.
Drop the skids down, and let the boat sit on the keel rollers, then snug up the skids, to stop the boat from rolling.

Excess weight on the skids will only do two things,one damage your boat, and two make it hard to get ioff the trailer. You should be able to get that boat off with one hand.
If the problem continues, put more rollers under the keel, not under the actual bottom.Rillers damage the bottom of aluminium boats.
Regards David

Barrymundi
23-08-2004, 01:01 PM
With my off road trailer I had an extra drawbar added for extending the length too launch.

This is quiet common with people who beach launch.

The extended draw bar is not designed for towing, just used for launching.

Photo is not real clear :)

It is quiet common to see off road trailers having the boat sitting high. I had my trailer custom built for my boat and one main point was to keep the boat as low as possible

Barrymundi
23-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Here is the actual trailer.

The boat is in the background -455 Hornet

Paid $3500 for trailer (extras included Spare Wheel and 2 x Trek Hitches, plus extended drawbar)

Al

peterbo3
23-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Rubes,
Dave is right about the keel being on the rollers.
You could spray the skids with a soap solution or a better idea is a rolling launch if your ramp allows it. Reverse into the water at walking pace until the water is up to your axle then brake sharply. This will shoot the boat off the trailer. Just ensure that the motor is tilted right up & you have a strong line of sufficient length attached to the anchor cleat to prevent a runaway. This line can be attached to the trailer if you are by yourself. Some people ride the boat into the water & then start up but the launch line is still a good idea in case the motor is having a bad day.

dnej
24-08-2004, 07:16 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1080551113 ;start=20

Have a look at this post from way back. Might help
Regards David

Thebuffalo
24-08-2004, 10:02 AM
The Buffalo gets a rolling launch every time. Her ass is that heavy and our ramps have a very gradual slope up here. I have 16" wheels which doesn't help. The extendable draw bar looks like a very good idea, might try it myself. I don't like the snapping handbags either.

dnej
24-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Be careful with launching too quickly.It is possible to get water up the exhaust into your cylinder chambers.
David

Rubes
24-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas and info (I love this site).
I'll have a crack and let you know how it all goes.

dnej
25-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Hey Rubes, did you get the idea with the angle iron and the rollers,in the picture.
David