PDA

View Full Version : Transducer shocker

ba229
25-08-2004, 07:03 AM
yesterday i put the boat in for the first time in a while and wasn't able to get any reading out of the sounder.

when i remounted the transducer several weeks back i noticed that the cable had split the insulation just above the transducer and filled it in with silastic.

Now before i have done any fault finding i thought i would see how much a new transducer was.

i only have a basic eagle model that would be several years old but it does the job i need it for.

So anyway the price for a new transducer is ..... $160 #:o :o :o

I can buy a new entry model eagle for $169.

time to see if i can find the problem i think.

The point of this thread is to point out just how expensive some things are to replace and that the manufacturers would prefer you to buy new rather than fix the existing.

Being an item that is easy to replace i would have thought it would cost something like $30.

Anyone ever replaced their transducer for a reasonable price?

Heath
25-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Its called profiteering.

Whats your model number & I will see what I can find ;)

ba229
25-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks heath,

It an Eagle Magna 2 and i am pretty sure the transducer is a HS-WS.

I could be wrong about the transducer code cause when i got the boat there was no manual for the sounder. i have since found the manual for the sounder and the manual for the transducer that i think went with this sounder.

The tranducer that comes with the sounder is a 20 degree cone angle and i think operates at 192 kHz

aido
25-08-2004, 09:25 AM
1st test...
turn your sounder on and listen carefully for a
tick - tick - tick noise. good sign of life for a
transducer. maybe touch a screwdriver blade end
on the transducer with the handle on your ear if
it's really faint, though probably stuffed.

ba229
25-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Thats a great trick aido thanks.

At first there was no ticking. Although i thought i heard other noises including a bird, a bee flying past and some voices in my head ;D

I cleaned the connectors out really good and had a play with the cable around the chaffed bit.

The transducer now goes tick tick tick and reads when put in a bucket of water.

Now i don't know if it was a bad connection or the chaffed area. Will need to keep an eye on this.

Never knew there was an audible noise put out by them before? Can this put fish off in shallow water?

Anyway while it goes tick i am happy :-)

propdinger
25-08-2004, 10:59 AM
alex i always turn my sounder off when im anchored as it does turn them off the bite from the area you are fishing in.... just think if i put a pulse through you would you stay there?????? i think not ............... think like a fish not a human ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ba229
25-08-2004, 11:13 AM
lol. when i held the transducer up to my head i got a depth reading of 100ft but no signs of life ;D

aido
25-08-2004, 02:28 PM
the ticking noise seems to indicate it's dinner time
for every baitgrabber within 100mtrs when i leave
mine on, so i turn it off when anchored up.

besides that it draws a fair current from the battery
and i like mine to have a good charge when i wake up.

mrs aido likes to watch the mystifying blueish glow when
the fishings slow, its better than the bold and beautifull,
;D ;D ;D

moondancer
25-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Yup, the ticking is a good sign of life in the transducer - it's just the sonar pulsing off the bottom. Most people recommend you turn it off in shallow water as the 'echo' (which is what it is) can turn fish off.
What I'm not sure about on mine yet though (combo gps/ sounder) is how to turn off the sounder and keep the tracks I've been making.