PDA

View Full Version : Bar Crusher Boat

Craigo
15-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Looked at one of the 5.6 Bar Crusher Plate boat today. Looked pretty good, like the way they have the open section VEE in the hull to take on water and lower the hull when at stand still to reduce rolling motion. Pretty tough looking fishing rig, anyone had any experience with them?

Needmorerum
16-08-2004, 04:38 PM
What sort of dollars are they asking for these Craigo, I test drove a Haines 5.8 Breeze and a Quinney 610 Offshore yesterday, I'll post my thoughts in a new post as I have some questions, but I would be interested in knowing what sort of dollars the Bar Crusher is worth.

Thanks
Corry

PS I know my cousin in Mackay has just purchased a Bar Crusher, but I haven't spoken to him as yet about it as it hasn't been delivered yet. When it does I will let you know what it is like.

clutter
16-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Mate of a mate in Gladstone has a Bar Crusher and swears by it. He had a look at several others eg.Quinny, Trailmaster, Stacer but like the ride of the Crusher.

Clutter

Smithy
17-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Got to say after owning a Mclay the Kiwi designers/builders know their stuff. Was a big fan of the saying "do it in class, do it in glass" but my little Mclay turned me around. Just have to judge every boat on its merits.

sjp
17-08-2004, 11:40 AM
smithy -been looking at the mclays myself,just the price has got me a bit undecided in justifing the amount of use for the $ ,do they show any tendency to broach

Craigo
17-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Cory

A good package with a 115 and all the gear on the water is about $42K. I've had a 5M quinnie which has been excellent but was after something a bit more for the offshore. Looked at the new quinnies, the carpet up the sides to contain the extra upright floation means a pain for hooks and the side pockets are so small. Also the controls really interfered with the front seat once it was turned or reversed. Price was similar. I know the millenium quinnies are a really dry boat just wondering about the Bar Crusher.

Cheers

Smithy
18-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Couldn't fault the Mclay and their finish and fit-out is second to none in aluminium and that includes brands with that reputation like AMM and Sportfish.

Never even looked like broaching and I got it into a pretty bad situation on a pressure wave in South Passage Bar one day and it was nothing but rock steady. I would describe driving it as like driving a BMW it is that sure footed and maunouvarable. Also very sensitive to trim adjustments which is nice. Not a fan of the portifino transom and livebait tank setup but everything else was spot on and I learn't to live with the setup which had other advantages. I never suffered any cracks whatsover but have heard from someone else that did get cracks in the transom somewhere. I see now they put a big 10mm fillet in the transom corners - maybe that was the week spot but mine never gave me problems. With a 100 4 stroke on the 585 Cruiser mine was a bit underpowered and fell off swells initially but with the addition of a Lazilas foil it was only the biggest of pressure waves or swells it couldn't climb out of.

As an example of how good it was I had a bloke that came out in mine bought one secondhand with a couple of months and he was coming from a 5.2 Kevlacat. He just wanted something he could use himself.

sjp
25-08-2004, 05:45 PM
smithy- been quoted 15grand , hull only for a 4.8 tiller mclay :-[ are they that good :o fisher boats are $3500 cheaper with more goodies, i still like the mclays profile though and cant seem to resist a bargin ??? ::)have to take one for a ride ,5.3 half cabs are going in new zealand for only for only $13,500 but the ride back might be a bit hairy

Smithy
26-08-2004, 04:40 AM
Had nothing to do with Fishers so am not going to bag one but can't recommend the ride and fit-out of a Mclay more highly. Not a great fan of the portifino transom of the Mclays and some other sportfishing aspects but you won't have any say in that. Can be said for all of the current crop of boats on the market at the moment though.

Smithy
26-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Forgot to mention the Mclays are wet so maybe not the best for CCs or tiller steers. Throw some clears on one or go the hardtop option and I would reccomend them all day long.

bakes
26-08-2004, 08:39 AM
after fishing with smithy heaps of times i can also say that his mclay was an awsome boat heaps better then other alloy boats that ive fished from i would go for the mclay myself
bakes :D

Smithy
26-08-2004, 11:39 AM
What setup transom wise do they have on tiller steer Mclays?

sjp
27-08-2004, 02:23 AM
smithy ,going to the boat show and will check out the stabicraft they dont have a tiller version in 4.8 only 1/2 cab,in regards to 'hull waves ' they are supposed to be caused by welding cross braces in the hull instead of along the hull and only get deeper(and more stressed) as time goes by,imagine a hull hitting through the water with small cross ridges along the bottom of the hull they can only get more pronounced and the plate between deeper :o and building a boat for survey in nz this type of hull is not allowed(this from the horses mouth