PDA

View Full Version : Crusting on outboard leg

polydriver
28-08-2004, 05:32 PM
On my relatively new outboard (25 hours) I notice that each time I come back from a day out on the water, there is a crusting of salt on the leg. The salt washes off the rest of the motor, ie cowling, but it is very difficult to remove the crusting on the outboard leg.

Does anyone know what causes this, is it because this part of the motor gets hot and the crust bakes on.

Even if i polish it off, the next outing results in the same problem. WD40 seems to get it off the easiest and then I spray the leg with it but it still persists.

Any ideas anyone??

basserman
28-08-2004, 06:13 PM
what your leg coulor???
i have a 25merc that gets used 50 50 salt and freash and i have found that it has been the freash that has made it worst
but i belive that it is just something that happens when useing it and from what i understand (WOW thats a big call me understanding???) it is from the fine mist of water when on the plain geting evaporated and the miniarls then getting baked into the paint :)
i do the same as you and just spray the whole motor after each use

funny thing is on my outside boat that is used in salt only i have never noticed this same problem ;D

ba229
28-08-2004, 07:02 PM
my 15hp always comes home with salt crystals all over the leg. but normally only on the port side

michael_Brewer
29-08-2004, 05:05 AM
I think we've all learnt a valuable lesson here today!
Freshwater fishing's the devil! ;)

aido
30-08-2004, 03:57 AM
next time you run the motor, feel how nice
and warm the leg is around that area.
that might have something to do with it ???
very common but not a problem.
just something that we have to live with.
a clean with wd40 or lanospray is still a good idea.