PDA

View Full Version : 9.8 Tohatsu

coral_critter
17-07-2004, 07:18 PM
G'day Guys, I currently have a 9.8 2s Tohatsu pushing my 3.7M Quiny Traveller. Great with 2 in the boat but when I take mum and the 2 kids, does not have the legs. Been looking at the new Merc 15h.p. super. Apparently made by Tohatsu and pushes 18 horses. 9.8 has been a great motor and jhappy with the brand. Any thoughts on other alternatives. 9.8 is a 2001 model if anyone is interested in her

Cloud_9
18-07-2004, 04:33 AM
gaday coral critter
your correct .
there are 2 deferent merc 15's in the 2's
1 made in japan Aka tohatsu. (18hp)
and the other made in the states true merc. (15hp )
heard defering acounts of oppion some good some bad.
sales man had more praise for merc 15 than tohatsu rebadge.
think merc 15 is more modern design machanicly, tohatsu old tech.
had 1 guy tell me that tohatsu was an asprin ( desolved in water )
i have Merc Mariner 15 i get 34kph 2 up with gear, on 3.5m burmuda v nose.
but if you like tohatsu why pay more for rebaged modle through merc?

cant beat hp to push weight.

Cheers Cloud 9

Tezza985
18-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Don't know about an asprin desolved in water bit, but have a 15hp Tohatsu pushing a 3.9 tinnie and it performs great. My only beef so far is that it does'nt have a kill switch on the throttle, but you soon get used to that, otherwise it performs better than my old Merc excepting the age difference.

Go for the Tohatsu its cheaper, and if as they say! "Their all ready for the scrap heap in 10 yrs or so," trade it in and get another.

Also, you can get a high speed prop if you want a little bit of extra grunt, and thats a cheaper option than upgrading to a 25hp later on. Have fun. Tezza.

scott_b
19-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Gday coral critter
Bloke that sells Tohatsu here told me that the 9.9hp and 15hp are the same motor ,different throttle linkage on the carby. He also said the 9.8hp is an up graded 6hp for light weight. The 18hp is same as 9.9hp and 15hp with different power head. Don't know anything to do with Mercs.
wamjam

21-07-2004, 04:59 PM
I have a 3.7m traveller with an 18hp tohatsu. Have fished 4 70kg blokes in it plus gear and on the sounder we got about 25knts @ wot. With two or three, it flies and she goes even faster. So far no probs with the tohat all at. Couldn't be happier with the rig and the o/b setup ....

Hope that helps

coral_critter
22-07-2004, 04:58 PM

Picked up the new 15 h.p super merc this morning. Apparentlyu it is a 18 h.p. toey. Took it for a run up the Hinchinbrook Channel this afternoon and it goes like a shower of sh&t. Have heard some refer to Tohatsu's as Aspro's but I must say that 9.8 was a pearler and not a hint of corosion.

Thanks all for your advice and I will post latter when I get a few big guys in the Traveller

coral_critter
04-09-2004, 07:21 PM
G'day one & all,

Had Dad and my 2 bros up this week fir a bit of crustacean chasing in the channel. Almost sunk the 3.7 Traveller but the Merc easily put it up on the plane. Also must give credit to Johno @ J & B marine in Ingham. Motor was a good price and after sales is nothing short of excellent. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED