PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a FWD and other boat questions

Local_Guy
05-09-2004, 06:54 PM
hey. i've got a 1989 Nissan Exa. FWD car.
just wondering how these things go for towing boats.
power isn't a prob as my car is turbo'd. but just wanted to know.

i'm just worried that if i retrieve the boat from the ramp the front of the car won't grip and i won't be able to move.

i'm going to look at a 16" tinny tomorrow. i wanted 14" but this seams preety cheap at $1250 with trailer no motor or other gear.

i wanted a boat that would get me out to the islands which are about 9 - 20km's off shore (partically smooth water i thnk it's classed at). if people know the Yeppoon area. i want to be able to get out and around Man & Wife, Barron island, etc.

would love some comments on all things mentioned.

thanks
jason

clutter
05-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Check in your hand book for the car and see what it is rated to tow, if you haven't got a book ask Nissan. Just because your car will tow a boat from the ramp doesn't mean you should, you should give consideration to wether or not it will be able to stop with a boat pushing it. Don't know what the boat you're talking about is made out of (ally or glass) but a 16ft with a motor on it usually requires brakes on the trailer and that makes me think the car might not be suitable. Like I said earlier, just because you can doesn't mean you should, remember there are others on the roads so think safety.

Cheers, Clutter

Local_Guy
05-09-2004, 07:29 PM
yeah. 16" tinny. (alloy) as i said above.
thanks for the heads up about the weight issue.. good reminder.
i'm not sure what they are classed too. but i have seen the exa's non turbo's towing glass boats.

phewy
05-09-2004, 09:05 PM
16" (inch)?. Even a little exa should be able to handle that. ;D .
Seriously though, dunno about turbo cars towing loads (diesel 4wd excepted). Turbos produce extreme heat from normal driving, let alone under extra load. Once owned a Fairlane LTD with a factory turbo and every time I towed a boat it cooked anything close to the manifold, including the starter motor. Tried packing cement sheeting around area to shield starter on one trip to get us home but to no avail, just cooked and burned that as well. Heaps more power than a normal non turbo, but not practicle for towing. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

freefish
05-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi, 16' should be OK for Man & Wife & Barren. Main thing to watch for is that seas change once past the Keppels. No longer sheltered water & can be pretty rough even though the bay looks calm. Most traffic is inside the islands & so reports can be misleading. Best time is before dawn before the winds get up. Best fishing too just watch for the new green zones. Bill

philip_thomson
06-09-2004, 09:56 AM
i don't think that a nissan exa would be the best tow vehicle. expescially if it is turbo. i have a nissan NX-R and it seems to be a high reving engine. im guessing that the turbo exa makes it a high reving engine also. what you want in a tow vehicle is a long stroke and a low reving engine to give better towing performance. for example a 6 cylinder falcon or V8 are good in this regard. also the exa isn't a very heavy car and it may have a bit of trouble on a ramp.

good luck
cheers phil