PDA

View Full Version : Trailer 12 Volt Winches

searaider
08-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I am looking into purchasing a 12 volt winch for my boat trailer . My boat is a 6 meter Fiberglass Allason Angler which would weigh about ( 2 ) Two Tonn .
Can anyone recommend , or supply some good or bad feed back on some of the brands they have used .

Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

scubapro
09-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Searaider 2,

My only experience has been with the Powerwinch Brand on my old hornet. It worked faultlessly & it was nice not having to winch the boat especially when alone & there is wind & chop.

I have heard that the Superwinch that BIAS sell is also very good.

I think Heath uses a Powerwinch & he has a 20 footer.

Scubapro

Kerry
09-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Actually makes one wonder just what trailer manufacturers think some people are going to use an electric winch for.

A brand new trailer I saw the other day come fitted with a 700kg :o electric winch and is rather mis-matched to the 7m Cat that they expected it to handle, like what was it they were thinking ::). Now if the trailer had been built/designed better to suit a Cat then one wouldn't need a winch, electric or otherwise but that's a different story.

Cheers, Kerry.

Heath
09-06-2004, 05:23 AM
As Scubapro said, I use a power winch for the Cruise Craft.

I have the Power Winch 712A, it is an oldy but a goody that I got at the right price ;D, its rated to 1000kg single line pull or 3500 double line pull. So we use it with a pulley to be on the safe side. It pulls the Cruisey up no problem at all.

Our Tinka trailer came with one of them blue 3 speed manual winches, they are a knock off of Jarret winches. The plastic bushes on the axels wear & cause the cogs to wear unevenly & evenually they do nothing but jump cogs. Real lot of fun at the ramp, when that happens, I CAN TELL YOU >:(

I had the powerwinch sitting at home ready for the day the manual one died, so I just put it on & now just push the lever & watch the boat come up the trailer 8) 8) 8)

One other thing. When you say 2 ton, is that just hull, motor, fuel & contents???

Big_Kev
09-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Make sure you hook it up properly with the heavy cables that run from the car battery. (and leave the engine running.)
Nothing worse than waiting at the boat ramp while some bloke pulls the battery out of the car and winds the boat on then puts it back in the car and doesn't fit the terminals correctly and melts a terminal. (stuck,good on ya buddy)

searaider
09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
scubapro,Kerry Heath ,
Thanks for your feed back .
I have to agree with you Kerry 700kg winch on a 7 meter cat they must be kidding .

Heath my 2 Tonn estimate for my rig would include everything , hull , motor , trailer , a full 200 ltr fuel tank & all the other toys that we seen to jam on board .
I'll have to put her on a weigh bridge one day to find out the real weight . After trying to add everything up in my head ,I think that she would actually be around 1900 Kg .
I have also got a Tinka Classis Trailer that came with one of those Blue 3 speed winches .

Does your Power Winch stay bolted on your Trailer , or can it be removed & locked away in your car when your out fishing ?

Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

dnej
09-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Heath , tell me about pulling the boat up with a pulley. How do you go about it
David

Heath
09-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Searaider 2
When I first fitted the electric winch, I had it removable. I wanted to see how it coped first, before fixing it properly.

Once I was confident in it, we welded it to the winch post so it can't be knocked off easily. The winchpost insert is welded, as is the sleeve to the trailer. So they will need an angle grinder to get it off >:( if they want to steel it.

David
Simply the cable goes through the pully & back to the trailer. The pulley has a hook on it & it goes to the bow eye.

I ran 16mm cable from my battery through a 100A resetable circuit breaker to the rear of the car. I have an anderson plug on the end. Then I made up a short cable using 6mm wire. Also fitted with an anderson plug & a powerwinch plug to power the winch.

The only changes I might make down the road is to replace the wire with spectra. Smaller diameter when wound on the winch, thus the winch is not working as hard.

dnej
10-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Heath , many thanks. What size pulley did you use? Can you buy them with the hook attached ?

David

Heath
11-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Yep, you buy them from Whitworths. About $80.00 they are. If you ask them for a pulley for a trailer winch, they give you the right one.

searaider
12-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Heath / Guys,
Thanks for the info , I think I'll have to look into getting one .
Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

searaider
07-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Refresh

drb
07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
that 700kg winch is not intended to lift the cat but to pull it over the rollers.
700kg should be enough but I would be more comfortable with 1000kg and a pulley set up.