PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass fuel tank

lurch
07-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Im sure someone will know ,
can you make a fuel tank out of fiberglass ,

I'm sure ive seen somewhere that a fuel tank can be made from fiberglass , Is this right ???????????

If so has anyone done one and do you have to use any special materials or is the standard glass OK ???

Thanks

Peter

NQCairns
07-09-2004, 11:55 PM
G'day lurch, Yes you can, a lot of the bigger tanks are fibreglass because it is superior in virtually all respects to aluminium or SS and especially so for the larger size tanks (0000s of litres).
I have chased up info on building them and found some but it is scarce and patchy going getting good solid info.
If a FG tank is properly made, tested and installed it has the ability to be maintenance free for a hundred years. I have a mildly technical PDF article on the right technique and practices to use in the making of these, if you are interested send me an email and I will get it off to you.
Use Iso polyester resin not the lower grade ortho resin or go all out and use vinalester resin (expensive). I have been advised to use 450g biaxial mat with 600 g chop strand for all the layup except for the special resin rich layers. nq

smerl
08-09-2004, 12:45 PM
This might be useful

http://www.practical-sailor.com/newspics/charts/8912byofiberglasstanks.pdf

Cheers

Smerl