PDA

View Full Version : water telltale problems

sjp
09-09-2004, 02:53 AM
just bought a new suzuki 15 and yesterday just above 1/2 revs the water telltale pressure dropped to a dribble and the water started getting hot ,so i slow down to idle and the flow picks up again picks up again ,this happened twice and a few times when i was running it in,works fine at the dealer ofcourse :-[,there is no problems with ventalation ,and the dealer says its under warrenty(i guess he doesnt have to row home if i do the head)

SeaHunt
09-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Just guessing here (as anyone else who has a go at this will be), but I reckon there is something in the water path that moves and causes a blockage when the pressure builds up ie. when you rev it, and falls back allowing the water to flow when the pressure is reduced ie . at idle.
It is probably just in the tell tail hoses somewhere, I am not sure about your particular motor but the tell tail is usually just an indication that the water is flowing , the motor can still have water circulating around it if the tell tail hole is blocked.
What you need to do is to see if you can simulate the problem at home with the rabbit ears on , if water is still coming out of the other outlets after it stops coming out of the tell tail then there is definately something loose in the tell tail route.
If your motor has a connector for a hose around the tell tail hole then try reverse flushing, and then test again.
If still blocked remove and check the hoses that lead to the tell tail hole, don't get too excited with pulling things to bits though , remember it is under warranty.
Good luck and BTW your dealer is a bit of a tool , but I guess they don't have the time to be searching for intermittent problems. #:P

EDO
10-09-2004, 04:26 AM
Hello sjp

Have just had a similar problem with an 'old' Evin. 9.9hp.....
The 'serviceman' could not find it.
He had blown compressed air back through the tell-tale while in the workshop tank ... It worked good enough for him to maintain there was loose scale ... give it a long run, he said.
Yeh!!

The Tell-tale worked with the ears, also at trolling speed [for one hour], BUT, under higher revs. the tell-tale would quicklyturn to a dribble and then become steam with a very hot motor.

SeaHunt may have identified your ploblem..

Found my problem to be a loose piece of metal, nearly the size of a 5 cent piece which acted as a 'butterfly' ...
i.e. it blocked the water flow virtually completely under higher power and fell back under lower pressure.

The loose piece of metal was in the water-way at the top of the head.

Take yours back again ... and again .. you are under warranty.
Threaten to go to Fair Trading etc ....

EDO

sjp
10-09-2004, 11:28 AM
certainly worth checking out , the only other reason a friend came up with was that it could be forming a vacum in the intake because of the water pressure (i find it a bit odd that this motor only has 1 water intake -under the cav plate- whereas the previous motor had 2 -one under the cav plate and the other on the leg behind the prop as normal) seahunt i can feel the water temp heat up guickly in the dribble,normally its quite cool ,i'll go and buy a screw in flushing adapter(cant use the rabbit ears on this motor)and see if it has a problem out of the water ,which might give a clue as to wether its a vacum or obstruction thanks guys

SNELLY
10-09-2004, 11:38 AM
sjp,

I had a similar problem with my outboard once. At idle it pumped fine but get up on the plane and water form tel tale stoped and overheat warning would go off.

The cause was the water pump impeller which has a metal inner keyed to the drive shaft with rubber outer vanes had seperated. So at slow speed there was enough grip to pump water but as the rev's increased it would let go and stop pumping water

Snelly

SeaHunt
10-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Have seen that before too Snelly , I would not have thought it was likely on a new motor, but stranger things have happened. ::)

sjp
10-09-2004, 06:21 PM
snelly -it does happen when the motor has been going for a while ,as though heat causes the impeller to slip on the shaft ,it certainly shouldnt be to much trouble to replace the impeller(hell i even pay for it for the piece of mind because i soon get sick of looking over my shoulder every minute)

Neil_c
12-09-2004, 04:13 AM
I had a similar prob with our Suzi 15 and after a couple of trips back to the shop to try and blow the obstruction out, a new impellar, and general scratching of heads it was decided to take a look inside. The water jackets were crammed with a fibrous material which may have been chopped weed from our freshwater fishing capers. Once this had been picked out it works fine.

Neil :)