PDA

View Full Version : Marine Radios-  27mhz or VHF?

MAD-MIC
09-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am going through the motions of fitting out a 4.2mt fglass boat I have just done up.

I am been having arguments :P with people regarding what sort of radio to install. I think the a VHF is more practical, whereas some people I know swear by 27mhz as they are easy to use and you dont need licencing.

I thought I would throw the question out to you guys.

What do you all think?

Kerry
09-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Dunno about swearing by 27 mhz but certainly one can swear at it at times, especially when there's a lot of interference etc.

Licencing? This appear to be one of the excuses for not going VHF and really in any case if people are serious about safety then they it really doesn't hurt to do the licence anyway, even if operating 27 mhz and even though 27 mhz doesn't require an operators licece.

Really if one is serious about fitting a radio for the purpose of having a radio then it's VHF, the licence bit doesn't hurt 8)

Cheers, Kerry.

basserman
09-09-2004, 12:16 PM
other popint is that no one would ever be charged for useing a VHF radio to call for help if they didn't have the licence ;)
Vhf give wider and better covrage while 27mhz is more used for boat to boat chatter and close to shore work

Kerry
09-09-2004, 04:06 PM
No I don't suppose one would be charged for using a radio in an emergency but really that scenario probably isn't the real issue.

On the other hand if someone who managed to cause undo interference to other people's safety resulting in culpable circumstances due to being unlicenced or inexperienced or incompetent or all of the above then if that person could be identified they should cut down.

Frankly I can not see what this big deal is about not wanting to gain qualifications with respect operation of this type of equipment. It's currently a requirement and to endorse otherwise is simple not acceptable.

Cheers, Kerry.

basserman
09-09-2004, 04:31 PM
not trying to endorse otherwise but i do know alot of blokes are out there that have these VHFs in there boats and woun't use them in fear of being done unlicenced
i know down here on the mid north coast NSW we would prefure them to use it and be safe on the water than not to log on and then if something happens it makes it alot harder to know where to start to search

by all means go get the licence it isn't that hard and you can claim the fee back on your tax ;D

banshee
09-09-2004, 04:36 PM
G'day Mick,If you wish to talk to your mates on the water you are going to need the same radio as them,probably 27 meg,if you only want to communicate with the coast gaurd VHF is a better option.

MAD-MIC
14-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help.

Yesterday I bought a Navman 7000 VHF radio from a chandlery in Wooloongabba (you all know who it is so I wont name them because we are not supposed to) and Peter over there was pretty helpful too.

After reading numerous articles reviewing all sorts of gear I settled on that one. It also has an attachement to connect a GPS to it by some universal cable as an advanced feature, so it sounds relatively future proof.

For $279 (plus $62 for the antenna) it's good piece of mind knowing that people will hear you when you are in trouble.

Lloyde - that is good news about the licence testing, and I will be in touch to book in if necessary.

Thanks again everyone.

Michael :D