PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter Centre Cab; Is it worth it ?

MikeH
11-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi there guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a Haines 580 Centre Cab, circa 1996 with twin 115 Evinrudes. The motors have around 500hrs on them. I'm looking for something that's more fish than family, but gives the family somewhere to rest whilst I hook in.

Took it for sea trials today and apart from scaring the hell out of missus, it went very well. (Worth it just for that I s'pose) Ride was very good and very comfortable...

Boat's in very good condition, but it is show signs of age... he's just has the hull gel coated.. top half is ok -- T-TOP canopy..all polished stainless.

The owner doesn't trust the oil injection so mixes his own and has kinked the oil injection lines. Buzzer periodically (every 20 minutes for 20 secs) going off because no oil (only on port motor though???)

Some of the electronic gauges weren't up to scratch, trim tabs port side didn't work, Speedo (appartently no paddle),

The owner (through a broker) wants 36K (down from 37k). (Includes registered drive-on trailer) I'm now hesitating..seems a little steep when you can buy a Mustang 1750 with a single 140hp Yama 2sk, brand new for same. (Brisbane Boat show special..mate just brought one)..any-one care to offer their thoughts about value ????

I like the comfort of having twin motors particular out in the blue water...don't know why... something my ol'man drummed into me.. Perhaps it's not such as issue now with the newer motors. ???

Then of course there is the argument..do I go for a Plate Boat ??

NQCairns
11-09-2004, 01:14 PM
RUN!!!!!!!!! $26500 possibly...... you gotta factor in 2 new engines or rebuilds later on, even as soon as 3 years or 3 months ::). That boat/trailer without engines would be worth 18000 if it is as good as you say and those engines minus the boat are worth around 4000 each private sale to a desperate fisho.
These are just my figures might be out some in market value but I aimed higher than I would pay. cheers nq

Big_Kev
11-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I agree, it sounds very steep. And will cost heaps to keep fuel up to it. And is at the age where the fix it bills start coming in.
Keep shopping for something newer or even new.

aido
11-09-2004, 02:18 PM
haines 580 with 2*115 hp motors.
should be a good performer.
just wondering what the hull is rated at?
would of thought somewhere between 175 and 200 max.

MikeH
12-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks for your blunt but honest opinions... Found the same hull with a brand new 4 stroke 140HP Johnson for 34K... Does make you wonder what the transom is rated at ?

cooky
12-09-2004, 06:43 AM
now that's good buying - motor alone would be worth around $16,000.
Nice hull. Haines = good resale. 140hp will power that nicely for fishing / cruising duties.
Good job.

I agreed with the other comments. I have been doing extensive searching for a boat for my family and I think $30+ for the 2x 115hp boat is wishful thinking.

There are a few like that out there (unrealistic). One private seller here has a 1750 Haines (old yellow hull) with a 2002 model 140hp Yamaha and rebuilt ransom / floor. Electrics, full canopy, etc. He wants $25000 - I have heard he'll take $23000, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $18000. It would be a good boat for $18000 and I'd certainly consider it. unfortunately this guy spent close to this on the motor and repairs to hull a year or 2 ago and of course now thinks he'll get this money back.
He's dreaming.... he's taken the boat of the market now - probably to go and drown himself on the reef.

clutter
12-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Sounds a bit steep, Just had a look on boatpoint.com.au. There's a 580 centre cab at bribie for $32000 with a 150 Yammy and all the other gear. Not sure what year or anything like that but looks pretty good (photo anyway). A mate had an older model than that years ago and loved it, he sold it to buy a brand new boat of another make and always regretted it as the ride was heaps better in the hHaines.

Clutter

MikeH
12-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Yeah...that's the one I refered to above, but they've since pulled the Yammy off as it was buggered and replaced with the new 4st Johno, and bumped the price by 2k .... but it looks like it's been sold...

We'll see what happens!

I agree on the ride and hull design. Suits us (as a young family) down to the ground.

cooky
12-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Mike H. You'll see my posts re Sportfish. I too have a young family - 2 under 18months. I have found the process of finding the right boat for reasonable cost a difficult process :-/. It's so much easier if you're just thinking about yourself and your mates and have a purpose in mind (fishing, skiing, etc). It becomes difficult when you involve the family and kids and in my case haven't owned a boat before, but have been in plenty of friends boats.
I have decided on a 5.4m Fibreglass and have made and had offer accepted today ;).
I was almost (very, very close) going with a plate alloy, but I really think for family useage the glass is better - noise, etc. My wife isn't the fishing type and hasn't had much boat experience, therefore comfort will be a priority.
Hull slap, ride, and noise could potentially make that family outing a little more tiring than I would like.
my father in-law and brother in-law will be a little dissappointed (keen recreational fishos), but between them they have 2 tinnies, a 5.2m alloy runabout, and a plate alloy 26foot ex dive boat with turbo diesel penta (currently being doneup by bro-inlaw).
I have listened to SO MANY differing opinions over the best boats, boat for me, family, etc. At the end-of-the-day you need to set a comfortable budget, have an idea of suitable size boat and power, and get the best boat you can afford.

MikeH
13-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Thanks Cooky,

Pleased to see you were able to make a decision. I would have gone the glass option as well, as I don't have much in the way of handyman skills to fix up the alloy you were looking at in your other post.

If your in the Cairns region and are looking for a fishing partner throw me a line to mike_aus@hotmail.com

cooky
14-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi Mike H - I had written a longer reply yesterday, but my F***** internet connection dropped out.

I have reasonable handyman skills and wanted to buy a boat that needed work so I could learn new skills, however after much thinnking and soul gazing I realised that I truely wouldn't have the time.

I just had to think about trying to find time to mow yard, gardens, wash car, fix bike tyre, drink beer, watch footy, sleep....