PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems

Sundowner
10-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi there folks, I wanted to ask for some advice from all you old salts out there regarding mechanical steering systems. I have a TFX push pull system installed in my sportsmancraft half cab. It was in the boat when I bought it 3 years ago and have noticed that there is a about 10 deg free play in the steering! I was planning to replace the helm unit but then wandered if it migh not be the actual cable itself?
Have any of you out there had any experiance with this sort of thing. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.....Ray

littlejim
10-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Sundy,

this one comes up as often as a bulemic's stomach contents. Kerry has given the definitive answer on just about every Aussie forum, several times. Problem is invariably the steering rod on the motor, where it passes through the two mounts for the engine. Cause is old grease gone hard. Answer is NO MORE GREASE, use light oil, WD-40, hydraulic fluid etc to get it free, and keep up the oil to maintain the movement. Most, like me, think it is the steering cable until they disconnect the cable from the rod and find the real culprit. Search any of the fishing forums and you'll find heaps more on the topic.

PS. I think someone has stolen your windscreen.

dnej
11-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Littlejim, that wont fix the 10 degree freeplay will it?
David

NQCairns
11-09-2004, 12:09 PM
I dont know myself but do the test, disconnect, clean,regrease (oops.. reoil)and get somone down the back to watch while the wheel is freeplayed, I for one would be intersted to see what you come up with, nice and cheap fix if it works [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]. nq

dnej
11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
The best thing to oil up the arm is power steering , or auto trans fluid from your car.
David

Sundowner
11-09-2004, 05:07 PM
for the reply's people. Firstly I did in fact disconnect the tiller arm at the tilt point and tried the steering . Still got the same amount of movement at the helm. so dont think its at the engine end. Had a look at the steering box but seem there is no adjustment at that end. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/embarassed.gif
embarassed
Suppose it may also be worn gears at the reduction point in the box itself. Bastard to pull to pieces so will not go there! a new unit will put me back $79 but I may have to cough up. Oh by the way, I have to remove the windscreen to get the boat into the shed! -Ray

Hagar
13-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Sundowner
I may be wrong but I think your post is about backlash in the steering rather than tight steering ? If this is the case I can tell you that I have stripped and re - assembled my helm and found no really worn parts but it still has some backlash ( read about 5 - 10 degrees play ) . These units have a pinion gear driving a larger sector gear which is attached to your cable teleflex and unless there is heavy friction with the rod to the motor disconnected then I would not be concerned . If you want direct steering then spend $800 and put on hydraulic steering . Heavy steering with the motor rod disconnected then see previous posts above . good luck .
Chris

Sundowner
14-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes Chris you are correct. It was exactly what I was on about. So by what you are telling me, I should expect that amount of play in the helm? Seems a bit excesive! Its not so much of a problem in calm water but when it gets a bit choppy then its a costant wrestle with the wheel keeping on a straight course. I know that you cant expect it not to do so under those circumstances but the extra play makes it a lot more tireing. My mates new boat seems to have no play at all and his is the same sort of set up so thats why I asked the original question.

littlejim
15-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Littlejim, that wont fix the 10 degree freeplay will it?
David
dnej,

good point. Nice answer, wrong problem eh?

dnej
15-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Littlejim,
I was hoping against hope ,that you knew something that I didnt, as I have slack at the helm as well.
David

Hagar
15-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Sundowner
Your mate's new boat probably has ' no feedback steering ' fitted . I have not played with any of these yet so have no experience with it to tell you how it is achieved - but it is much better than the older style teleflex setups .

Chris

Morlers
16-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi Sundowner
Hagar is right. My steering is Teleflex Industries USA brand 'Mechanical Steering -non feedback'. There is no 'slack' evident and turning is much easier compared to my last boat where steering was very stiff as you have experienced.

:) :)

Morlers

Sundowner
16-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi there Morlers,
Just my luck. looks like I will have to bite the bullet and get a new mechanical box. What with the insurance also due it looks like the plastic is going to cop a flogging again. Will be planning a trip to the Bay next month so need to get it ready by then. Want to try the grounds off Arch Cliffs. Will send the girls whale watching while us men do what we do best!
Ray
[smiley=wut.gif]