PDA

View Full Version : Merc Opti-Max 75 ?

Scott_Mitchell
14-09-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm looking at upgrading my Merc 60 EFI to a new Opti-Max 75 to go on my 475 Hornet.Has any one had some experiance with Opti-max motors previously ?

I like the idear of maintaining the smart craft system and lower idol speed and fuel economy etc.Interested in noise output compared with a 4 stroke as well ?

Appreciate any feed back ;)

Thanks Scotto

SNELLY
14-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Scott,

Don't want to be a wet blanket and all but how are you going to go with an extra 58kg on the back of your boat. 60hp EFI 112kg 75 Optimax 170kg

Snelly

Scott_Mitchell
14-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Snelly:I think it will be OK - the transom is rated to 164kg and 75 HP, so we're not a long way over it and I now feel it is a little under powered with the 60 EFI when loaded up for a few days fishing.

I'm told the power rating between the two motors will be quite dramatic - with the Opti really being a powerhouse in comparison.Quite a few anglers puting them on the new 475 Edge trackers at present down our way apparently.I'm more interested in reliabiliy etc ?

Regards Scotto

SNELLY
14-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Scott,

If its rated to 164kg that should be OK - You would have a real rocket ship then

Cheers Snelly

opimax
14-09-2004, 03:22 PM
giday scott have the 135 opti 300 hrs of trouble free boating, top donks , if i ever upgrade to a bigger boat will go the opti. as for noise they are louder then a 4 banger, but are smoke free & you can troll all day, go for it you won`t be disapointed. lee

cooky
14-09-2004, 06:37 PM
spoke to a local fibreglass boat builder the other day and he said they're the future. He recommends them rather than 4strokes - putting a lot of them on his boats apparently. Reckons they're fantastic.

That will be a fair upgrade cost for you. Are you sure it's worth it? I thought the 60merc would have been reliable enough?

I would have thought your tinny would have flown with the 60 on it - you must REALLY load it up....

Scott_Mitchell
15-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Thanks boys for teh feed back - can't find s a bad word writen about them, which is great.

Cooky:I can squeeze 45 km out of the 60 EFI - with hole shot being slow to get up.If I put three blokes around 100 kgs in with gear - I can't even get out of the hole in cool freshwater :o

I also have 2 100 amp Gel tech batteries for the MK 65 AT up front, 65 litre well down the back with another 80 amp cracking battery and then gear etc.Hornets also appear to "stick" to the water a bit, and take more power to get out of the hole.

The weight and size of the 75 Opti is still an issue - and I appreciate your feed back - Thanks ;)

Scotto

NQCairns
15-09-2004, 04:04 AM
G'Day Scott, dont forget to research the E-Tec. On paper they are 10 years ahead of the O and use a very-much simplified mechanical DFI injection system than the Merc. All new technology is 5+ years old when it is introduced anyway.
I have no brand loyalty but if the price was near the same and if the costs were mine I wouldn't touch the O with a so-long-pole if kept after the warrenty period. I heard also that the E will idle down to near stop.
Just the other side of the coin. Both are good engines. cheers nq

cooky
15-09-2004, 05:10 AM
whoops - I was referring to the E-TEC with my comments - sorry...

tonyp
15-09-2004, 07:18 AM
whoops - I was referring to the E-TEC with my comments - sorry...

;D

Zeeke
15-09-2004, 07:46 AM
im in the market for a new motor aswell but im going simple yamaha 2stroke.. but i have read a fair bit about the Etecs... pretty advanced stuff on them

Guy at the local Johnson/Evinrude Dealer was saying that if your out fishing and the motor is acting like a dog, with the Etec, if you have a Nokia mobile phone, aslong as its 1ft away from the motor, he can wirelessly connect to it over the phone and tune it in so its running better for you, and when it comes in for a service, he doesnt even need a mechanic to find out whats wrong, all he has to do is connect a laptop to it and it tells him every lil bit of detail on whats wrong, whats been happening, what needs replacing and where in australia it can be sourced from.. just by taking the cover off... pretty amazing stuff..

Tim

NQCairns
15-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Zeeke said,
Quote:"Guy at the local Johnson/Evinrude Dealer was saying that if your out fishing and the motor is acting like a dog, with the Etec, if you have a Nokia mobile phone, aslong as its 1ft away from the motor, he can wirelessly connect to it over the phone and tune it in so its running better for you"

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Zeeke
15-09-2004, 10:58 AM
btw.. if you think he's some sort of alien or mystical creature, he's not, the Computer in his office does it, he connects over the phone to the motor using the computer and the computer allows him to tune the motor using the phone as a wireless link between the motor and computer

Tim

cooky
15-09-2004, 05:05 PM
you guys crack me up, i needed that laugh. Watch out if you don't pay his bill - he'll find out when you're fishing the reefs and change your max speed to 3kts for the trip home.
If you need more beer, just call him and he'll wirelessly send it to you (spock).

Actually the new NAVMAN stuff is coming out with FULL engine management monitoring for the E-TECH motors - cool gauges that monitor everything - this is standard feature. Check it out - very impressive. Won't impress the chicks, but sure as hell will your mates.

tonyp
15-09-2004, 05:16 PM
you guys crack me up, i needed that laugh. #Watch out if you don't pay his bill - he'll find out when you're fishing the reefs and change your max speed to 3kts for the trip home.
If you need more beer, just call him and he'll wirelessly send it to you (spock).

Actually the new NAVMAN stuff is coming out with FULL engine management monitoring for the E-TECH motors - cool gauges that monitor everything - this is standard feature. #Check it out - very impressive. #Won't impress the chicks, but sure as hell will your mates.

Cooky,

Why wouldn't Bombardier bring there own setup out for this .?

Sportfish_5
15-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Cooky - New tech for outboards but the technology to do this has been around for a long time ;)

Dont laugh about the finding you on the reef bit. The company I work for markets a range of Hyd Rock Breakers that can be located via satellite and information downloaded, pressure/flow setting changed and we can even stop them from working if we wanted in case your trading account is 90 days+ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

NQCairns
16-09-2004, 05:20 AM
G'Day Zeeke I was not a non believer, amazing stuff these days happening to our humble fishin rigs, was good info [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].nq

cooky
16-09-2004, 06:43 AM
i meant the navman sounders / plotters, etc are coming out with full engine managment graphics, etc - just like a major extension of the navman fuel flow monitor.

with a click of a button you can go from SOUNDER to a heap of dials monitorning everything from RPM to "how big was that dugong I just hit"

oscar
17-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Cooky
Where are you getting your information on the Navman engine managment graphics?
oscar

cooky
17-09-2004, 06:22 PM
local navman dealer showed me. Mind you it was the latest sounder / plotter combo model. From memory around the $3000 mark.