PDA

View Full Version : Best/Easiest way to shape styrofoam?

NQCairns
16-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Anybody know a tricky way or just one that works!, I made a bit of a mess, with bits breaking off :( thanks nq

basserman
16-09-2004, 01:00 PM
i know you can get foam cutters and all that is is a copeing saw type of thing but instead of a saw it has a heated blade that sort of melts itself thorugh it makeing is clean and no mess

NQCairns
16-09-2004, 01:43 PM
That sounds good Basserman, where would they sell them? I havn't seen them in my travels.

Heath
16-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Yeah a hot knife will do it, one that has a wooden handle or similar. Heat it up with a blow torch. Or you can use a hacksaw blade, just have the vacume running nearby when cutting up the foam & it sucks it all up.

What are you cutting it up for? Floatation?

NQCairns
16-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks Heath, I will give that a go next, didn't like the idea of those fumes in the first instance.
I just found on the net where a battery charger rigged up to a wooden bow and wire can work well - interesting for a bigger job.
Not floatation in it'self, I am trying shape a lump for floatation pods as the mould core before covering in plastic & duct tape then laying up over it. Petrol will rid me of the foam when it is finished, thats the plan anyway ;). nq

drb
16-09-2004, 03:41 PM
I remember using a electric knife years ago. bit messy and only really good for straight cuts.

melbdan
16-09-2004, 06:40 PM
NQ i used a timber hand saw with a long blade and found it to work well.

blaze
17-09-2004, 04:00 AM
we used to cut out foam letters in my early days of sign writing and used a tool that looked a bit like a soldering iron but it would heat a blade about 200mm long, 2 mm thick and about 8 mm wide. it never got red hot but was very close and would glide through like a knive in butter. As some one else said the fumes are bad and could kill ya, i think you would be better off outside with a good stiff breeze because i dont think a household vac would suck enough fumes away
If ya make these things, why not put a layer of car body filler over them to stop the resin melting the foam
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
18-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Daz and Mel Thanks for the suggestions, I never thought my timber saw would work so never tried it, I will see. I have an electric knife but would get [smiley=rifle.gif] if caught so lwill use as last resort ;D

Blaze, I guess I could use auto putty, I was thinking I should be able to reach in through the cut soon to be inspection hatch and just reef the plastic away once the foam has dissolved, not having done it before it may not be possible? but that shouldn't matter anyway ???. cheers nq

blaze
18-09-2004, 12:05 PM
just gotta be a lot of fun reworking an old boat, got a pm the other night and made me wanta do it again, mybe an old timber boat of some sort, 30-40 foot or something thing silly, maybe i am just looney like the wife thinks
cheers
blaze
ps
how about some more pics nq

NQCairns
18-09-2004, 01:38 PM
30+ foot and wood!!!! You are a madman (hope you do it but) Your new boat not long enough anymore? ;D most wouldn't know where to start, recon if I started one of those today at the rate I get through this stuff it would be launched the same day as my triple heart bypass ;D.
What about a 30 foot fibreglass catamaran without the full sails and done up with twin o/bs, there are a few around cheap needing work. I have quietly liked the idea for the explorer in me along the QLD coast for a year, might do it too - oneday ::).

Will get to more pics when far enough along so there is a bit of a story to tell. cheers nq

Dr_Dan
18-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I've used a cheap soldering iron before, make sure it's just a cheap one tho, cos it ruins the tips.

I saw a guy once that had made a cutting tool (basically a wire in a hacksaw handle), and hooked the wire up to a battery. The heat from the resistance was enough to cut the foam. Not sure exactly how he had it set up tho.

Dan

blaze
18-09-2004, 07:46 PM
hi nq
the last one i did was supposed to be long term, not in the water 28 days later, now thats gotta be a man posessed, and a nethew with a pregnant wife. would like one to sit in the shed to ponder over and stroke with loving hands. to feel like that about a boat its nearly gotta be a timber classic of no practical use, makes me wonder wether i am discussing a women, must be mad and need to fish to get something outa my system
cheers
blaze