PDA

View Full Version : Side console in open dinghy

Dusty_Dave
23-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Can anyone provide some help or advice on fitting a rear side console to a 4.35m sea jay magnum series with the removable floor
I need to fit it out with hydraulic steering instead of the tiller as I have one "bung" arm
Maybe fitting it up somehow off the side of the boat would work?
Can anyone provide a solution?

Zeeke
23-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Check out the Bermuda Range of Side Consoles, they are plastic conoles, made of the same stuff as chopping boards, easy to fit, just a few holes, then just add cables and extras, plenty of room to fit hydraulic steering if you wanted it too

Tim

DaneCross
23-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Quick question? How much lighter is hydrolic steering as opposed to normal? And how much more would it be to fit, cost-wise?
DC

CQ_Fisher
23-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Hydraulic steering is probably not really neccessary in that sized boat, even with your bung arm you should have no dramas steering it with plain old mechanical steering and save yourself quite a few dollars too. Just my opinion.

JD

basserman
23-09-2004, 11:12 AM
DC hydro steer is a bit lighter but it is better more so becasue of the non-low feed back from it
i'm setting my new 140 up with hydro mainly to make trolling alot easyer
as for price i would say without looking any up your lookinf from $1500 for a half decent one and up wards ;D

Blue_Escape
23-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey Tim,
Nice setup. ;D What size/sort of boat is it? I'm trying to upgrade my 4.5m Seajay to a similar layout - Yes I'm looking at a Bermuda console. Did you do it yourself or was the boat like that when you got it?

Cheers
Blue

Zeeke
23-09-2004, 12:22 PM
my boat is a 4.35m Kakadu Seahunter... it was originally a tiller setup, but had it converted.. the boat had a tiller evinrude 35 at the time, im picking up my boat tomorrow with a brand new yamaha on it.. its still a side console.. just new donk

Tim

Dusty_Dave
25-09-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone
Hydraulic steering may be an overkill, better revise that one
Bermuda console details seem a bit hard to find
Can you let me know where you sourced yours Tim
Also Tim, how the hell do you get the muck out from under the floor, regularly
Dave

Zeeke
25-09-2004, 04:02 PM
www.mercurymarine.com.au ??? i think.. has info on it, Bermuda is a mercury product.. and to get the muck out, i undo 4 screws, and the floor slides out.. just a bit of wiggling, since 99% of the fishing i do is lure and fly, dont get much muck..

Tim

Dusty_Dave
26-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks Tim, I'll check out that site
A lot of our work is around mangroves & crabbing (mud etc in the boat), hence my concerns with cleaning out, re underfloor corrosion etc
By the way, where is the flotation material situated in your boat? (Nice rig too, by the way)
Regards, Dave

Zeeke
26-09-2004, 09:23 AM
my floatation is under the floors, not much.. but there is some there.. the rig is even better now, in that photo, the console mounted right at the back of the photo, the drivers seat would be right next to the motor, its now been moved to the center of the boat and ive changed the motor from an evinrude 35 to a yammie 40.. its a weapon of a boat now

Tim
p.s. ill be crabbing tonight!

Dusty_Dave
26-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Moving the console to the rear-centre makes a lot of sense when you're on your own a fair bit - how come we don't see more of it?

Is the yammie 4 or 2 stroke?

Hope you are in luck with the crabs Tim, I'm green with envy mate, as I live 8hrs from the water - long trip to the boat ramp

Regards, Dave

Zeeke
27-09-2004, 04:06 PM
got heaps of sandys, only 1 very very very undersize muddy...

dunno bout the console, at the time, the placement was a request, but since then and due to the fishing i do, i wanted it moved forward.. the new yammie is the 2stroke 40hp midrange

Tim