PDA

View Full Version : Im now Boatless!!!

Zeeke
17-09-2004, 07:19 AM
Well.. for about a week that is ::) ;D My boat is currently sitting in the yard down at Dolphin Marine at Kawana.. awaiting for a new pony to sit on its back.. im saying good bye to the 96 model Evinrude Elan and welcoming a new motor.. a 2005 model 40hp Mid Range 2 stroke Yamaha with a few lil addons.. like Power Tilt and Trim and Electric start.. a big upgrade for my boat.. and hopefully, a better upgrade!! gone are the days i freak out when going outside in the bay.. worrying if the motor is going to stuff up and leave me standing there with the pull cord in my hand and the motor refusing to retract the cord..

So Farewell Mr Evinrude, G'day Mr Yamaha!

Tim

drb
17-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Hi Tim,

I just bought a new 60 4banger from dolphin. Their price was great. Just got to finish the boat now so they can fit it.

Zeeke
17-09-2004, 07:45 AM
yep, Service and Price from Dolphin Marine has been great

What boat are you putting the 60 on Daz?

Tim

DaneCross
17-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Congrats Tim. That sounds like its gonna make a hell of a difference not only to performance but to your confidence as well. Might see more reports of you heading out of those beloved rivers and getting into the big stuff out in the deep blue more often ;) ;D
How many ponies were in the Evinude? Did you have electrics on the old one at all?? You're gonna be in boaties heaven with the upgrade I rekon ;D
DC

Zeeke
17-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Evinrude was a 35.. only 5 more hp in the Yamaha.. no electrics on the old one.. it was a pull start and manual lift tilt.. and yes, i will end up doing a bit more blue stuff instead of just the creeks.. Macky season in a few months ;) but from what ive heard and read, the yammie is a true power house.. reading a review where it was pushing a 4.9m open plate hull tinny at 45kmh.. ive only got a 4.3 meter boat.. top speed with the Evinrude was 25 knots.. hopefully top speed will be 30 knots with the Yammie and cruising speed be around 22-25knots

Tim

SNELLY
17-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Tim,

Good choice - I'm sure you will be impressed with the Yammie

The Elans promised alot but delivered little and most people I know who have then have had nothing but trouble with them

Snelly

sharkbait
17-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Gday Tim, I've got the same motor as you know and similar boat.

don't do knots anymore but on the GPS top speed is 53km/h and avg cruising is 32 -33, fast enough for a little boat :)

kris

drb
17-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Tim,

I have a little project going. I am converting a 16ft easyrider runabout (glass) into a centre console with a casting deck forward. I will post a heap of piccies on this board a little later on. Been slowed down on it lately as I found too much rot in the old transom to have faith in it to hang $8K + off it. :) New transom should be finished this weekend hopefully.

daz

subzero
17-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Nice motor.
Congrats
Converted 53 Kmh = 28.6205 Knots
Fast enough I reckon

Zeeke
17-09-2004, 12:02 PM
look forward to seeing the pics, maybe even organise a tag team effort on the tuna one day out the front of mooloolaba once we are both rockn and rollin boat wise...

Tim

Zeeke
23-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Welp, went down to Dolphin Marine today to check on things.. didnt get to really see my boat.. they were driving out the driveway as i left the showroom, taking it for a sea trial and try different props for best pitch.. great stuff.. only a day away and my boat will be back... YAY!!!!!!!!.. prolly taking it for a spin tomorrow.. or deffinantly on friday..

Tim

Fin_Addict
23-09-2004, 05:01 PM
G'day Zeeke :) We just fitted High Tech 40hp 2stroke tiller steer yammy to my oldmans 4.3m Stessl... FANTASTIC PIECE OF KIT

Zeeke
23-09-2004, 05:08 PM
youve got the same as me then, a Mid Range.. (high tech) ehehhe.. 3 cylinder 3 carb.. i got the 40VETOL.. luxury of the yammies.. hehehe.. glad your happy with it

Tim

CQ_Fisher
23-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Tim,

I'm getting the feeling that your pretty excited about the new donk ;) Good on ya mate, I know the feeling, its like all your christmas' have come at once. Enjoy the new yammy, I'm sure you will let us all know your thoughts after your 1st few runs.

Cheers
JD

Zeeke
23-09-2004, 05:27 PM
excited is the mild way of saying it.... i cant wait for it, i prolly wont be able to sleep tonight.. as i said, saw it drive past and the yammie looked awesome on it

Tim

aquarius
23-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Tim i bet its going to be a smooooooooooth motor for trolling.
Just keep an eye on that fuel bulb mate..lol (lucky phill to the rescue)
I enjoyed flicking lures around with you on the Mooloolaba meet and greet.
Hope the new donk serves you well for the many fishing trips in the future.
Cheers Brent :D

Zeeke
23-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Lol, dont remind me, bulb was perfect all day till then, guess the heat got to it.. new one is mounted under the back floor so its protected from sunlight.. should be a smooth trolling motor.. pitty i dont troll....

was good meeting you at the M&G.. just wish we boated a few fish

Tim

craigie
24-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Zeeke,

It all sounds good mate.

I expect you to be getting around 60 km/per hr out of the new yammie.
My old rig (4.6 Clark Kakadu) had a 40 hp Mariner. It did 60k's before I put the Stingray Foil on it. Could only get 50 k's when "Foil Equiped".
Either way, your 4.3 should get up and boogey !!

See you on the Mackie grounds in the next couple of months :D :D 8)

Cheers
Craigie.

Zeeke
24-09-2004, 09:48 AM
G'day Craigie, you just said exactly what the dealer said "it should get up and boogey!!"

ive had it home since 9:30am.. just playing with it and giving it a few runs with the muffs on... first click and she's on.. pretty quiet too.. im wrapt.. just gotta take it for a spin now.. waiting for the deckie to show up, then we are goin fishin!

Tim

dnej
24-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey Zeeke, what brand of bulb have you had the problem with?
I had acres of problems,some would only last two weeks.
Bought a name brand now, and what a difference.
I would like to know what you had?
David

Zeeke
24-09-2004, 10:52 AM
dunno what i had.. fuel bulbs just arent ment to sit in the sun every day, which was happening to mine...knowing the guys who fitted my old motor, it was probably the cheapest they could find

Tim

Fin_Addict
24-09-2004, 04:17 PM
You'll luv that donk mate ;D We'll have to catch up and wet a line one day off Mooloolaba...I'll tow up my Seafarer and T up the super decky "SMITHY" to come along aswell

Zeeke
24-09-2004, 04:43 PM
iam luvin the donk, took her for a quick spin around maroochy river, she absolutely hoons along, cruising speed is what my old donk used to do at full speed.. flat chat.. im extremely happy!!!!!!!!! and its so quiet!! im comparing it to 4strokes ive been in, it starts up and its that quiet, ya gotta look to see if its running properly.. but it is.. im lovin it!

Tim

Zeeke
28-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Well, ive had the boat back since thursday, it first saw water at 3pm.. since then till about 30mins ago (11:30pm, 27th of September) my boat has now done 11hrs.. (CRIKEY) the new yammie is bloody awesome!!! goes like the powers of piss and doesnt fail to amaze me, first click with the key and its on... bit smokey, but its still in the run in phase, it goes in on wednesday for its 10hr service, then i can open her up a bit more, average cruising speed is 24 knots.. clicking upto 29 knots when i open it up a bit.. even with 3 on board, a shit load of fishing gear and a stonkin big battery and a leccy up the front... im extremely impressed, especially with the quietness of the thing.. the tell tale water outlet forces the water out.. its louder then the motor! quiet enough for me to NEARLY compare it to a 4stroke..

Tim