PDA

View Full Version : New 225, 5800 RPM and 38 knots!

Smithy
24-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Here she is. Just back from Sundown.

SeaSaw
24-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Looking Good Smithy ;) Now where have I seen one just like that lately ;D

Cheers

Mark

dfox
24-09-2004, 06:47 PM
saw it down there smithy, top engine , cant go wrong there mate just ask mark , hows yours going mark starting to clock a few hours?...foxy

Black_Rat
24-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Don't get too excited Smithy,
You could blow before she does ::) :o ;D ;D ;D

megafish71
25-09-2004, 05:08 AM
Good to see you have seen the light Smithy. I notice your deckwash water pickup on the transon. Could you post a close up pic of that for me, looking for ideas as I am about to set the deckwash up on my boat. I have everything else sorted, but an still not quite decided on which way to go for the water pickup.

Cheers Ron

CQ_Fisher
25-09-2004, 12:49 PM
I didnt think you were supposed to go full throttle with a new motor, what happened to running it in ;) Just couldnt help yourself, hey? ;D Congrats on the new donk, she certainly looks the piece of work now.

Cheers
JD

Thebuffalo
25-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Smithy, thers no substitute for horsepower. 4 stroke should give a good return in the fuel economy dept. 38 knots should get you into trouble quick enough and out for that matter. Enjoy.

SeaSaw
25-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Smithy, Has it got a 17" or 19" prop and what revs does it go out to at full throttle. I understand they should rev out to between 6000 and 6200 if they are proped right. I have a 17" on mine and it revs to 6200 with a full load and in flat conditions. I am thinking of playing around with prop options, so am interested in what you have done. I am thinking of a 4 blade 17" to drop the revs slightly but provide better stern lift and hopefully get a lower planing speed.

Happy to exchange some performance data with you once you have given it a good run.

Cheers,

Mark

Smithy
27-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Sorry I haven't got back earlier. Been layed up with the flu.

Ron,

I wouldn't go there with that setup. Originally went to a Shurflo, the second boat I have been involved with that had a Shurflo - don't know why, they are a pressure pump. We then had the problem of fittings set up for it. To get around that we had to use a through hull Rule mounted on the inside and then used an Attwood adaptor that screwed on the thread bit and had a push on end the other end. The easiest and best system is one using the through hull Rules mounted on the Transom. Not cheap but they do both jobs as a pick-up and pump. Have a search of the site for a thread about Tuna Tubes. It will have a picture of the setup on my old 15'er.

CQ,

Keith (from BnB mag), the guy from Sundown was the rev-head. Just no longer than 30 seconds. Also need to vary the throttle till the first service.

Mark,

we sent it down with a 17" M (small hub) series SS prop on it. Knew it wasn't the right one but we already had a good 17" T SSand weren't sure if we would lose it in the trade. They fitted a 17" T out of the shop and that is what the figures were done with on the first day of testing by Sundown. When Russ went down to pick it up and have an on water test with them Keith was determined to hit 38 knots again even with three on board this time and about the same 300 litres of fuel (no fishing gear) but in rougher conditions. He was amazed at the trim available with the tabs we fitted and was only using engine trim the first day but it was flat as a tack. Keith was happy with that and it seems fine by me. We have gained 3 knots on the 2-stroke for the same pitch but our older prop might let it rev out more as it has had more wear than the new one. I am prepared to sacrifice a bit of speed for shifting loads as we are always loaded to the hilt. The old EFI 2-stroke could only rev out to 5500 which was spot on for its rev range.

craigie
28-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Smithy,

Top donk mate ;), Quiet as a mouse on idle, a couple of guys at work own one privately on a 6.8 Fibreglass, runs beautifully. From memory, fuel economy was something like 28 litres per hour on cruise mode which is very good for such a big rig. With 300 litres of juice on board, that will take you a long way east ;D

Cheers
Craig.

Smithy
29-09-2004, 04:30 AM
300 litres is down a bit from her full capacity of 360. ;D

craigie
29-09-2004, 06:01 AM
360 :o :o

How many hours steaming is it to Saumarez or Kato ;D ;D ;D