PDA

View Full Version : F#*+ED FUEL FITTINGS

nofrills
08-07-2004, 07:22 PM
hey all

a couple of years back i got a fella out from a fluid connection company to put a new fitting in the tank on the boat,cant remember which mob it was ???.i said i wanted something i didnt have to worry about cause the boats got a sealed deck and its a bitch to get to.
anyway last week thought i should shine the torch in there to check and guess what,his u beaut fitting is a big piece of rusty crap.nothin like good quality stainless.and to top it off when the fitting was new the end piece swivled cause its close to the floor ribbing and you needed to hold the end still while screwing the thread into the tank.so now its all stuffed you cant unscrew it and whilst attempting it ive damaged the thread in the tank.
SO now i have to pull the tank out which isnt easy cause the far king console is on top of it and i have to undo most of the fur king electrical system to shift it.

grrrrrrrrr
scott

MTpockets
08-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Thats a sheetload of damage there Scott :(
Looks like a weekend at home eh?
Hope all goes well mate :(
cheers
Les

blaze
09-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Probably no help to you now, the guy that built my fuel tank uses a welded tube for outlet and breather, if its stainless he uses 10mm stainless tube, 10mm aliminium tube for alloy tanks.
Yours certainly looks a mess and i think you are lucky you found it now and not later on the water somewhere
cheers
blaze

bungie
09-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Assuming the thread into the fuel tank isn't badly damaged.
Use a hacksaw to cut the elbow off but leave enough thread to grab and unscrew it out of the tank.
Purchase a piece of all thread that will get you beyond the rib in the hull, then screw the elbow on the end of the all thread, this should all be able to be done with the tank in place.

aido
09-07-2004, 03:37 AM
looks like someones been in there with a gas axe.
that would'nt be the enzed man would it??

i like brass fuel fittings, nothing ever seems to
go wrong with them.
another case of why do it your self when
you can pay experts to stuff it up.

Thunderbird
09-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Nofrills hi mate, What a shit of a job :(
noticed that the hose clamp can be used again ;D
Can you? now that the thread is damaged, drill and tap a larger sized thread into the tank? I would use BSPT (british pipe taper) That is if you can get a drill in there to drill it?

nofrills
09-07-2004, 04:37 PM
thanks for that fellas

reccon im pulling the tank out for sure so i can get a good go at it,prolly time i stuck my head under the floor anyway and make sure no bits are falling off ;D,im thinking maybe of those anodised aluminium fuel fittings alot of high performance cars use,if not ill get an alloy one welded in.
TBIRD glad you noticed the $2 hose clamp put the $50 fitting to shame ::)
aido nah no gas axe work in there,ive got my own little eco system living in the hull and the black mould is top of the food chain :P
back to the shed :'(
cheers scott

Big_Kev
10-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Scott it may be more drastic than the quick repair you seek, but can you reinvent the pick up so that it comes out at the top of the tank (or is there no room for this).As this is a safer option in the case of fuel leaks. :-X (sorry don't mean to create more work for you)

nofrills
11-07-2004, 03:56 PM
thanks kev

yea i was just talking about that this morning with a mate.i got the tank out today so im halfway there.it will be a bit tricky coming out of the top of the tank but might be worth the stuffing around for safety sake.
cheers scott

snappa
11-07-2004, 07:00 PM
no frills

my fuel tanks are under floor also
but i cant see to check
fingers crossed
or else i have to cut the floor to get at them ???
just cant get good workmanship these days
i prefer to do things myself so when they fark up i can only blame
the "the one who must be obeyed"
looking for crew any time just get in touch ;D

nofrills
27-09-2004, 06:20 PM
well its only taken me 3 months ;D.thing was i pulled out the tank and saw how easy it was to re do the wiring so i decided to do that as well.then i thought no use putting old pumps and lights and stuff on my new wiring so i replaced all them too.then cause i was spending all this time in the shed looking at the boat i kept buying more and more shiney new bits for it.

so the moral of the story is,if your fuel fitting goes rusty sell the boat and buy a new one cause its cheaper than fixing it.
cheers scott

blaze
28-09-2004, 04:00 PM
looks a heap better than before, trouble with boats is they think their masters have a endless pit of dollars, because you seem to have the hand in the pocket all to often
cheers
blaze

nisrol
28-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi SCOTT
i you like i could come up and check it out for you i am a qualified fitter and turner and have worked for ENZED ( emphisis on used to ) have a large tool kit and am happy to help out if i can

cheers andy

nofrills
29-09-2004, 08:14 AM
thanks for the offer andy but i reccon shes right now.
the new fitting is a 1/4 NPT speedflow anodised aluminium fuel fitting i got from a local dyno shop so it should be perfect in the aluminium tank and wont rust away.

once again thanx for the offer
cheers scott

aido
29-09-2004, 12:07 PM
looks good scott,
always seems to be several other tasks
to do when taking on jobs like that, lol.
preventative maintenance brings good khama.

Fin_Addict
29-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I'd still wrap some Denso Tape around that fitting mate if the floors still out...Bit of over kill but i do it to all the fuel fittings..