PDA

View Full Version : honest outboard mechanic

DR
30-09-2004, 08:22 AM
i know it's been asked before, i have done a search but could not find anything helpful.....

there was a posting here some time ago with the names of some trusted outboard mechanics. can any one direct me to it??
Preferably southside
motor is a 40hp 2 stroke Mercury, is 4 years old & only done 72 hours. this morning it developed a rattle in the gearbox.
is obviously out of warranty, need to have it looked at by someone who will not just take a look & then take easy way out & say 'gearbox stuffed'
any help appreciated.
cheers
Dave

sharkbait
30-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Steve Morfett at outboard engineering.

0412 779 079

4 cooks rd, cnr jacobs well rd
Woongoolba

I have been going to him for a year or so now and very happy.

Kris.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Des Hughes Marine Service
192 North Rd Woodridge 4114 (07) 3208 3349
Mobile Service 0409 274 136

He is excellent & affordable, very experienced with mercs. Been operating in the same joint for many years - doesn't advertise - doesn't need too.

Don't write off the dealers either - Springwood Marine just did some excellent work for me a fornight ago - I was going to go to des with a problem that stopped my merc in its tracks - as it was 24months old I was hesitant but bit the bullet & went dealer - it was a fault in major electrics which is 5yr warranty stuff. Even though I didn't buy from them they made it smooth as silk with little delay & no out of pockets.

Des is good - really good. I liked using the dealer for this one though ......

chris

Black_Rat
30-09-2004, 05:29 PM
DR
Just done a first (20hr) service at the local Merc dealer (northside of town ;D) am 95% happy with what I got. Can be a hit & miss mission to get what you want. Good luck [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Damo

DR
01-10-2004, 04:20 AM
thanks for that fellas,
prefer to use someone that has been recommended rather than the phone book lottery.
cheers