PDA

View Full Version : Public weighbridge

joeT
20-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi,

Is there a public weighbridge in brisbane southside that I could use to weigh my trailer on? How much does it cost and what times are they usually open?

Cheers

propdinger
20-09-2004, 01:26 PM
joeT
most tips have weigh bridges and will give you a peice of paper to show how heavy
i have used birkdale tip a fair few times cant remember the cost but it was quite cheap

if you have one close give them a try

jeff

PG
20-09-2004, 03:38 PM
This is an interesting topic. Recently there has been a flush of disgruntled boaties who have found their boat/trailer/gear load to exceed to limit of 750Kg which requires them to have brakes on their boat trailer.
I'll be getting mine weighed soon too to be sure but I reckon there's a lot more who'll be getting a nasty surprise when they get theirs weighed.
How many of you already know the weight of their boat or did you just assume like me that it's a safe weight by your own reckoning?
Law is law I spose and when it comes to needing to brake suddenly to avoid an accident, better to be safe than sorry.

joeT
20-09-2004, 03:43 PM
My reason for wanting to weigh it is to see if it can legally be towed by my small car (Lancer) which only has a 400kg (unbraked) rating. I usually borrow a car to tow, but it means less boating time.

Boat is 4.1 alum with 30hp, should be pushing pretty close to just 400kg. If its over, I might as well fit some brakes on it anyway so I can tow it with my own car. But if its under, like 380kg, I'll just tow it.

The_Walrus
20-09-2004, 04:19 PM
It's surprising how much your rig actually weighs.

Out of sheer curiosity, I had my ute +boat weight at my local tip then after a rubbish run, my ute only.

Turns out my rig is just on 550kg if ready to fish mode.

My rig is a 4m SeaJay Bass N Barra pointy punt, full floors with front & rear casting platform powered by a yammi 25/4.
Weight included a full tank (25 lts), 45 lts esky, 75 amp battery and 42lbs Min Koda electric, fishing & safety gear.

I didn't beleive it the first time ??? so I did the excercise again and got the same answer !!!

It's no problems for my Toyota ute but not legal for my Ford laser which is rated to 50kg on the towbar.

Luc

aussiebasser
20-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Sounds like a perfectly ggod boat to be leaving at the Tip Walrus. :o

Public Weighbridges are shown in the Refedex I think, and there is one at Rocklea at the back of Archerfield Airport. If it's under weight, it's a good idea to keep the ticket in the glove box. Mine wasn't, and I had over-ride brakes fitted, and its the best thing I've ever done. It's great to tow now, especially in city traffic.

The_Walrus
20-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Only plastic things should be left at the tip.

Luc

Needmorerum
27-09-2004, 04:49 PM
The public weigh bridge here in Gladstone is at the Pozzolanic Transport Companies yard. It is accessible from the main road all hours of the day, and is free of charge. You don't get a printed ticket, or not when I have been there.
I know this doesn't help, but, I'm sure that there has to be an accessible weigh bridge for the public that is free of charge. May pay to drop a call to some of the tranpsort companies in your area, they should be able to help you out.
Failing that, like Jeff said, use the one at the local dump, but from what I can remember when I was living in Brissy, the dumps are a fair drive away anyway.

Hope this helps
Corry

joeT
27-09-2004, 06:45 PM
I went and got weighed at the public weighbridge at Rocklea. Came in at 440kg tare mass :(

I'll have to take the bimini off and the fuel tank when towing with my car. That should make it just under 400kg on the axles when it is hitched (thats what the coppers weigh at).

joeT
27-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Oh, and for those who were looking to weigh their rigs as well, its $20 and you get a cert (for rego purposes if you need it), open from 6am to 5pm weekdays.

bungie
28-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Where at Rocklea mate ?

joeT
28-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Rocklea Public Weighbridge
Cnr Ashover & Balham Rd Rocklea QLD 4106
ph: (07) 3277 9046

bignick
03-10-2004, 09:26 PM
There is a public Weighbridge at the quarry on German Church Road, Redland Bay. Cost is $15.00 and you just roll up and they will weigh you between trucks. Hope this helps.

Cheers
BIGNICK.