PDA

View Full Version : which gps

opimax
27-09-2004, 03:23 AM
giday all
i know its been before but here goes again.
have a navman 5100 b&w with c-map, happy with ite proformance but am going color.
do i simply upgrade to color unit or the question is what is everyone using & some of there good points.
thanks lee

dfox
27-09-2004, 06:24 AM
We always want better lee' i believe in furuno gear because most of it is of a commercial grade but sometimes its just to expensive to justify for the amount of use we do mate. but if your as keen at fishing as i think you are spend the money we only live once, and colour units do look great even if they only show the same info as the black and white ones...foxy

snappa
27-09-2004, 09:04 AM
lee

i'll buy your old one. :)

i have some great G.P.S. marks ???
how much NOW $$ :P

smerl
29-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Lee

I replaced my 5100 with a Garmin GPS Map 172C. I've been very happy with it. It's easy to hook up to the computer to upload and download, maps,tracks, waypoints and routes. Scrolling the screen is also virtually instantaneous and it's is easy to pick a point to go to or to add marks along the way.

Cheers

Simon

opimax
29-09-2004, 01:22 PM
thanks simon
i`m looking at that one ,thanks for your imput

Volvo
29-09-2004, 02:07 PM
:)Own an eagle hand held, an eagle Journey GPS and quite happy with the performance of both:)..BUT!!! just purchased a Navman Tracker 5600 colour plotter and its awsome!!..really user friendly along with heaps of memory and n storage space for your waypoints/ routes etc..
Set it to the correct datum for your area and its spot on!!..
Shopped around and moneywise?? couldnt go past them for sure...
Saving marks whether along the way or uploading them?? has several functions and all are dead easy..As is the go-to function :)..
Just gotta figure out how to hook up an antenna n watch telly on it when the fish arent on the chew lol..

Cheers

opimax
29-09-2004, 02:35 PM
thanks volvo
just a hint to realy zoom in on your mark, go into setup & turn your plotter off it will allow you to zone right in on your mark.

Volvo
29-09-2004, 03:02 PM
opimax, think with the tracker 5600 once you really zoom in you automatically go out of plotter mode..Wanderfull for zeroing in on Wrecks..

Xfactr
30-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Volvo you got me interested in this navman 5600 just want to ask you, did you fit it yourself or had it done for you??
Cheers

Volvo
30-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Nah mate, fit it myself..Only hassle i had was fitting the antenna lead through my canopy piping..Took me time and all worked well ...
Cant get nothing wrong, instructions come with the unit..Only time you might have to stop n study it out would be if connecting the unit to Autopilot n radar..
Cheers

searaider
30-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi Volvo ,
I was thinking of up grading my existing Navman 950 colour
Gps with one of the new 5600's .
By your last post it sounds like you may be able to hook it up with a radar .
A radar screen overlaying the c-map charts , mmmmmmmmmm wouldn't that be sweet little set up .
The only thing on the 5600 that I thought may be a problem was the single point mounting from the unit to the base .
I thought that if the boat was getting a bit of a bashing due to poor conditions , the single mount may have trouble in holding the the head of the unit upright ?
Im looking forward to any future posts on the performance of the 5600 .

Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

Volvo
01-10-2004, 08:35 AM
:)Searaider that was my main concern originally also as between a previous post onboard here plus a couple of mates at work who own the older Black n White versions complained about that same thing with some rough weather..
The 5600 being a much bigger screen and a tad heavier unit i thought this would also be a problem but!! Took it out for a trial run and made sure i put the boat into a head on chop and had no probs whatsoever..
Mindya i normally only do the speed the weather will most copmfortably allow me to travel without nockin ye old backbone around ey lol..
The 6600 has a much more solid mount and personally cant understand why they didnt use the same mount for both units ey??..
Mate of mine has the 50001 and reckons he hasnt had any problemo's with the mount either??..
What size screen does your present colour Navman have??..
Cheers

searaider
03-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi Volvo,
My current Navman 950 colour GPS , has a 5" diagonal screen .
A bit smaller than than the 5600 but is longer horizontaly than it is vertical . Like the 5600 laying on its side .I have always been happy with it , but the new ones have more options & also have a bigger screen . The screen on the new ones are better being taller .

Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

Volvo
04-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Mate not fammilliar with the 950, but if they are halfe as good as the 5600 then they would be a good unit..
I like a unit which is not only user friendly in its operation but also being able to configure to individual use..
Eg, with the 5600 i was able to get in and get rid of the compass rose and just leave four windows for my "Data Header"..
(1) Bearing
(2) COG directly below..Just adjust the COG to match the bearing..No need to go cross eyed observing the boat trying to keep within the CDI lines either
(3) Distance to go
(4) Speed...These last two being the two windows on the left side of the screen..
Adjusted the size of the letters n numerals to "Medium" for my wee eyes to be content with lol..
So far happy with the layout..
Abillity to turn off some of the soundings and chart info which unclutters the screen a tad ey..

searaider
04-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Volvo ,
mmmmmmmmmmmmm seems like I might have to upgrade .
The only thing that stoped me buying one at the boatshow was the single mount bracket .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Never plan on being out there when its rough , but it seems to be pretty common on the windscreen getting washed on the way home & the mighty Searaider 2 dropping into some holes .

Have you tried to up or download any of the Info from the 5600 on to the computer .

Peter
Searaider 2

Volvo
05-10-2004, 06:07 AM
No mate, do not have any Computer connections for it as yet..Dont know if i need to either as have a chart allready loaded on the PC for storing waypoints or checkin out distances to n fro prior to trips or when someones gives me a new waypoint....
Fuel Flow TX will be next purchase for the unit..
Cheers