PDA

View Full Version : VHF WIRING QUESTION ?

Black_Rat
16-10-2004, 10:31 AM
G'day all,

Just a quick one, I'm installing a VHF radio tommorow and was wondering if there are any pros or cons in wiring it through a four way switch panel. Or would I be better of hard wiring it back to the battery isolator :-/ Any thoughts ??
Damo.

NQCairns
16-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi Black Rat, The times I have done it I hard wired dedicated +- wires from the battery to a master power switch on the dash then straight to the unit, you still may need to place a noise suppressor (metal non powered one)in line as well as the obligitory fuse/s.
Sometimes noise is hard to beat, but best not to wire it up into existing wireing for that reason also ease of troubleshooting and for redunadancy reasons.
Considering it can be the most important piece of equipment on board and "Murphy Law" ;D it's worth doing the best job you can with heat shrink, tinned wire etc. Wiring straight to the battery acts as a big calming revevoir of electricity. Enjoy.nq

Aaron_Fogarty
16-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Nqs on the money with his advice Ive wired up a couple of survey boats and the radios wiring goes straight to the isolator.I also put a diode in line with the positive wire to surpress sounder,pump and engine noise. Its been a couple of years since Ive done one but Im interested to know whats on the market now to surpress background noises. Can anyone shed some light on the topic?
Regards Aaron

aido
16-10-2004, 01:20 PM
if you want to supress electrical noise the cheap solution
is a capacitor across the +ve and -ve supply.
fitting a diode does nothing more than drop the input
voltage by about .7v for a silicon diode.
the radio probably already has one or #a crowbar circuit
which is a better solution.
more elaborate is a capacitive/inductive tank circuit but
they will cost bucks.
wiring it straight to the bus bars via a fuse is probably the norm.
more critical is the antenna installation.
cheers, aido.

Black_Rat
16-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Cheers,
I've managed to jag my mate (sparky) for some inputs for tommorow. Noise Supressor ? diode for the posotive ? are these available from 'S cheap' or is it a visit to the local chandlery shop early morning ? #???
Damo

NQCairns
17-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Yes Supercheap has powered ones, got one from there in the car. They are an easy to fit unit after the job is done if needed. Dont have to fit one yet you may not need it.
In my boat I used one of those metalic collars that fits over the wires and does the same job but probably not as well? I got mine from an old computer keyboard.nq