PDA

View Full Version : Two way not working

bungie
17-10-2004, 09:57 AM
I don't seem to be getting out on my 27meg, Is there a way to test it other than trying to get somebody/anybody to answer me ?? better if it can be done with the boat in the drive ?

Kerry
17-10-2004, 03:26 PM
An SWR meter would basically indicate if the unit and aerial are one unit and transmitting within reason.

Could be several other things also but an SWR would at least indicate if the transmitter and antenna are not the problem.

Now just need to get your hands on an SWR :-X, which aren't all they expensive and simply connect between the radio antenna connector and the antenna plug.

Cheers, Kerry.

T-REX
17-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Bungie,
Take the radio in for some repairs as the problem could be dry joints inside the set or you might have to replace the hand piece. The only way you can test it in the drive way is to have another boat close by and call each other. If you can hear other users over your set then the aerial connection should be ok.
Cheers

SeaSaw
17-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Just had a problem with my VHF set where it would recieve OK but would not transmit at all. :( After putting the set in another boat and finding it worked perfectly, I assumed it had to be a faulty aerial in my boat. Made sense as a radio can recieve on a 6 inch piece of wire but will only transmit if the aerial is in top working order.

After replacing the aerial, the problem still happened ???. Next I took my set and my new aerial and connected up to another boat (now the only thing different was the boats wiring harness) and it worked perfectly again ???

Problem turned out to be the wiring. I rewired the positve connection and it works perfectly again. It seems it was getting enough power for the set to turn on and display OK and recieve transmissions but not enough power to transmit. Radios can be hard to diagnose ??? ;) The only way I found the cause was by a process of elimination by swapping pieces in and out of another boat with the same radio.

I also kept the Local VMR busy by calling for radio checks after each component got swapped. ;D They didn't seem to mind.

Good luck

Mark