PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor Mounting

mini696
19-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi guys and girls,

I own a 50lb thrust electric Minn Kota. It has a standard mounting bracket (similar to every other motor).

I want to mount it on the front of my tinnie, for a couple of reasons.
1. Get it out of my way when I'm up the back of the boat fishing.
2. I find the electrics steer the boat better from the front (pulling the nose where I want to go rather than pushing the whole boat).

As I said I want to mount it to the front but I have no way of doing this easially. My tinnie is a typical open hull design with small bow rails and an enclosed deck (an after market anchor well is installed in the middle of the deck).

Can anyone suggest how I might mount it without major modifications. I would like photos or descriptions of yours if possible.

Zeeke
19-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Make up an L Bracket wide enough to clamp the minnkota on, fix one side to the front deck and a piece of timber glued and fixed to the otherside so it sits like a transom bracket, then all you have to do is mount the minnkota, do up the screws that clamp it on and give it power and youve got a front mounted electric motor

Tim

mini696
19-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Nice drawing.

I saw this on another site and was thinking along similar lines.

I'm hoping to end up with something that holds it neater on the deck.

Zeeke, I like your idea, I was thinking along similar lines, but I want it to be supported over the deck more (at least hanging over more). It also fouls my anchor line in that position.

basserman
19-10-2004, 02:31 PM
if its 50lb thrust you proble will find you will need to get a nice bit of alloy block welded to the bow
by all means try the above first but in the past we have found that the toque of the leccy make it hard on anything but something solid! ;D

ballast
19-10-2004, 09:08 PM
I agree with Basserman. My previous boat I fitted pretty much exactly what Zeeke (Tim) has drawn. It worked okay but even though it was a solid piece of angle and braced it did still flex. New boat has a block welded on and it makes it really smooth to use. The motor does not kick up when you give it good boot full and it is a lot quieter.

Cheers, Brad.

mini696
20-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Maybe I should just buy a new boat!! ;D ;D ;)

I want to make it as solid as I can. Not just for power transfer, but also for my piece of mind. The last thing I want is to loose the thing OB when I'm chattering along at 20 knots.... [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

murrayscod
20-10-2004, 01:35 PM
one thing tim didnt mention but im sure you would have figured out is that you will need to turn the head of the leccie around by undoing the main screw on the head otherwise itll be useless.. a mate had his mounted that way and when you pull it up it travels no probs even on rough roads.