PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane River Info required

polydriver
21-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi guys
I am now in Brisbane for a few months and want to take the nephews (10 +12) for a ride up the brissie river. Could anyone tell me
if the Indooroopilly boat ramp is ok
or another ramp that is good
speed restrictions on the river
a good spot to throw in a line so that can catch some fish, dont have to be quality fish, just some little ones that bite?

thanks

MY-TopEnder
21-10-2004, 04:19 PM
G'Day Polydriver.

Mate the Indro ramp is a bit dodgy from what i've heard. A far better option is Colmslie, especially if you have youngsters with you. There is a floating pontoon there which is great for getting in and out on. Its generally pretty close to the city reach to. You have the option of going round the hamilton reaches there to see the big houses, or you can go round to see the cliffs, gardens, and southbank.

As for wetting a line, anything from the Breaky creek hotel to the mouth of the river is under Port of Brisbane Corporation control, because of anti terrorism acts, you cannot be within 30m of any international dock. There are big blue signs up that will tell you this. A good spot i like in the river to wet a line is up where VISY Recycling is, you can see it from the ramp. There is a big wall there, and a jetty. Another option is the pylons for the gateway bridge, i have heard of lizzards coming out of there.

Speed restrictions are open (40 knot max) as far as i know, anything else is marked.

Aaron_Fogarty
22-10-2004, 09:44 AM
As for a fishing spot if you tuck in along the southern wall between the quarentine jetty and the Ampol wharf just upstreem of the yellow cross theres a nice sand bank that produces fish day or night.I would be heading out the boat passage first though to the end of the mangroves to pump a few yabbies on the low tide. If fishing the river in shallow water though be mindfull of passing tugs, when their wake hits the shallows "surfs up" just be carefull.
Hope this helps
regards Aaron

mini696
22-10-2004, 09:56 AM
If fishing the river in shallow water though be mindfull of passing tugs, when their wake hits the shallows "surfs up" just be carefull.
Hope this helps
regards Aaron

Isn't it amaizing how much underwater wake the Citycats put out!! Not much is seen on the surface, but the undertoe (for want of a better word) they throw out is massive. The shore swells quite a lot after one of them has sped past.

Sportfish_5
22-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Poly - that ramp and the upper river at Indooroopilly certainly gets a workout on weekends by the water ski fraternity and PWC crews. Looks like a total r00t to me on weekends. I think you may be better off going closer to the river mouth or probably go a bit further in the car and head down to launch at Jacobs Well to take the kids for a fish. The mouth of the river is OK for a fish but stay away from the wharf side. Go from Comslie ramp or the Whyte Island ramp. Even Dohles Rocks might be a quicker trip for the kids.

Cheers

Greg

polydriver
22-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I am sure where ever we go the boys will love it. Sounds like Colmslie is the go for launch. Wanted to give them a look at the city from a different perspective, as well as myself.

cheers

Rowdy_2002
23-10-2004, 12:16 PM
There is a ramp in between Indro and Colmslie at South Brisbane. Where I work I look straight out at it. It gets a little bit of use during the week... Can't say what it is like on weekends. At least it gives you options if you want to head either way. Colmslie ramp can get a bit busy on weekends and sometimes it's not easy to find a spot to park the trailer but does have the advantage of the pontoon to load in the passengers.