PDA

View Full Version : Boat Canopy designs

Nathanrb4
14-10-2004, 07:10 PM
as much as i love working on my tan when out i`ve desided to get a canopy for my boat.
i`ve got a mate who`s an Upholster and has offered to make one for me if i take him out over his holiday at xmass, so i`m wondering if anyone has any idea where i can get the plans for one or has got any tips/ideas. i`ve been looking at afew that are on the market and i think i`m looking for something like a "T-top".
any help would be great.
nathan

cooky
15-10-2004, 05:02 AM
most "trimmers" will make whatever. You need to give them an approximate design (sketch should do) and they will (should) work out the rest.

I have been looking at ideas too and it is difficult, but I went to a few boat dealers and took photos of canopies I liked and particular ideas.

I then played around with some potential designs - I haven't actually got a canopy made yet though. The boat I purchased has a smaller canopy that I plan to get a trimmer to make a removeable extension to.

megafish71
15-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Nathan,
A bit more info might be helpful,
What style of boat
How much do you want to cover
Permanent, removable or collapsible
Alloy frame or stainless

Some of this info may get some responses and or some pics.
Another thing to consider is will the boat still fit where it is housed once you fit a canopy

Ron

Nathanrb4
15-10-2004, 10:39 AM
hey sorry.
i had a look at the boat today and got some ideas about the size i want.
the boat is a 4.35m centre console. this is a top view of it i got of the seajay web site. i want it to cover from then front of the console to the back of the boat and the full width with as few posts as possible. i was thinking about something that is mounted at the front from the console and from the outside corners at the back. as for the rest of it i`m not to sure what would be best. i guess i would like it to be removable or atleast be able to be lowered. as for storage its stored in a shed with heaps of clearance.

SeaHunt
15-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I would not go full width, interfers with the fishing. I would leave it about a 30 cm narrower than the internal (standing width).
Just two posts , one either side of the front of centre console up to a stainless steel loop with angle brackets from the posts for rigidity. A couple of crossmembers in the loop and then a canopy with eyelet holes than can be laced (roped) to the loop frame.
Rocket launcers on the back for a few rods, 12 volt fluro light over the console and another at the back and your done , IMO the perfect setup for a CC.
The two posts could be made telescopic with one tube inside another and a locking pin for lowering. 8)

Nathanrb4
15-10-2004, 12:05 PM
thanks heaps for that seahunt! i hadn`t really thought about lights or rocket launchers but i think your idea is what i`ll be basing mine on. i`ve got a GPS and the antenae for it is mounted on the concole, will i have to move that on to the top of the canopy?

Nathanrb4
15-10-2004, 01:08 PM
this is what i`ve come up with so far. can anyone see anything wrong with it or think of anyting i might wanna add?

mini696
15-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Looks good to me. Can I borrow your design?? ;)

moondancer
15-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I like the design here! If I was keeping my tinny, though, I'd investigate the different ways I could rig up the canopy so it has easily extendable sections that are supported on the frame above you, so as not to interfere with fishing. I've seen bigger (and no doubt pricey) examples of extendable/ telescopic style canopy attachments which are great for cruising around in the hot sun - I think the latest Cruiscrafts have them - they look like a fantastic canopy design!

Let us know what you end up doing!

Lawry

Big_Kev
15-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Looks a bit like Noahs Ark. LOL (wheres all the animals).
You will have to watch the overhead weight and the mounting to the floor.
If you do not upgrade the underfloor stucture that top will shake like fxxk with rods in the top, and tear the console clean out of the floor.
Something like that will cost over 2k to do CORRECTLY and is not a job for the inexperienced.Best made from stainless steel.
I have looked down that road myself and got scared off. If you want shade and can't spare the extra I suggest to get a basic bimini.
Best to talk with Seajay and get the oil from them.

Nathanrb4
16-10-2004, 06:52 AM
i was looking into bimini`s but after being out in a boat that had one i decided against it. they are fine for cruising around with but when you hook something and get it close to the boat they just get in the way. will get on to seajay about it and see what they think.

Jeremy
16-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Nathan,

reel hard is spot on IMHO. If you get a 'T-top' design like what you sketched, your console will not carry it without additional structural structural support. Then again, what you sketched is the ideal layout for a fishing boat.

How strong is your floor - could you attach a T-top directly to the floor with two upright posts on each side and some additional angle bracing?

I also have a 4.3 m centre console and I have decided against spending the extra money on sun shade. I'll wait until I upgrade to a 4.8 on my next boat.

Jeremy

Black_Rat
16-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Nathan,

Just to add to Reel Hards & Jemerys comments on the T-top set up, if it is a new hull under warrantee check with the dealer that adding a T-top won't void your hull warrantee. I also looked at a T-top for my C/C but was advised by the dealer adding one would void the hull warrantee, just a thought. #:-/
Damo.

Nathanrb4
16-10-2004, 08:39 AM
there seems to be alot of reasons not to get a t-top. why is this? are there examples of them doing damage to hulls?

Big_Kev
16-10-2004, 01:36 PM
I have seen a few examples around over the years Nathan.
I am not to sure if the pressed alloy boat you have is realy made to take the extra burden of supporting a canopy like you want.
If you look in the for sale section you will see Peterbro's Plate alloy boat and it has a very well built canopy on it.
Pete may be able to give you some pointers.
I had a C/C and was going down the same track and then decided the exspense and trouble to modify the hull to fit the T/top was not worth the effort and was pricey.
I have seen some very nice Bimini's with a twin hoop style rear that will carry rods and can fold away easy. And being mounted to the side decks is easier structuraly.
Cheers Kev 8)

Bowser
22-10-2004, 12:49 PM
I am in the process of getting a centre console and t top put into my 4.45 and the cost o f top is nowhere near $2000. I got a quote from Seaquip for a fold down unit under a grand. I have to get the material but that should be pretty cheap. Have a look at their web site for examples. The size they do is roughly 1.4 by 1.4 and it is clear all around. They put rocket launchers on but aren't to keen on them, particularly for heavy rods and reels. I am going without the rod holders myself.

Racegun
25-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Bias boating now sell a universal t top that looks good and is under 400 bucks i saw one on someones centre console in one of the forums . i think with a bit of ingenuity they could fit any centre console