PDA

View Full Version : Where Does All Money go  

redspeckle
25-10-2004, 03:38 PM
i have read in papers & mags about the increase of number of Boat Owners in the state (QLD).
But the govement is collecting more money now,25 to 30 million dollars in revenue but is not geting return to the Boating community for up keep of maintenance facilites on waterways ( eg Boat Ramps ) on over ten years ago they spend 2.3 million a year now its only 600 hundred thousand dollars a year :o in the mean time recreational boating industry worth 1.3 billion to state's economy and Boating numbers have increase to 181,000 and to top it off not one cent has been spent on dreding our water ways last financial year i don't know about this year.
I feel the Beattie govenerment is doing the same thing to Boating community like what he done to energex rape it of all its money and hardly give any of it back and you known what hapenns if don"t spend money it all falls down around you & then cost twice as much to fix it and cause >:( like ramp rage , bottom out in main navigation channels and so on .
i would like to do something about it instead of whinging here on Ausfish, Maybe a Petition all by Ausfish members +Boating community or heaps of e-mails to state goverment or something else ?.
ps by the way one of the 23,000 that voted for fishing party for a senate seat in Qld.

bignick
25-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes, Redspeckle, the age-old question of "Where does all the money go?" Much like speed camera fines, the money that boaties inject into State coffers and local economies far outstrips the pittence our elected leaders give back. Nobody minds paying rego, etc., if we got something back in return. But, we just don't. We all get the chance every three years to have "our say", but our say falls on increasingly deaf ears. All the money seems to go to "Consolidated Revenue", which is essentially a Government slush fund set aside to buy votes and preferences at Election time. No Government of any persuasion seems to be able to get any policy through honestly and on its merits without having to grovel to minor parties and independents, none of whom I elected to govern in the first place. For example, the State's power system is on its knees from years of Government mis-management and neglect as well as unchecked corporate greed, yet this same Government is still concerned about funding for wild "Smart State" projects that help nobody but those who get the Government (ie.OUR) money. Perhaps if we all became left-leaning, Chemically dependant abstract art lovers with questionable sexuality and were seen to be jumping up and down about every cause from Refugees to Land Rights For Gay Whales, we would be taken more seriously by politically correct Governments and their chains of Beauraucrats. Somehow though, I don't think too many of us are willing to change our ways quite that much.

Cheeers,
BIGNICK.

cosmo
27-10-2004, 06:20 PM
What do you do? In my mind they are all as bad as each other.
Heres another "Where does all the money go" - Why are will still paying an ever increasing toll on the Gateway Bridge in Brisbane after 20 something years????