PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Coupling Adjustment

ba229
24-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi all,

Just replaced the old coupling with a new quick release one.

I have a question regarding the grub screw and nut on the top though.

I have wound it in till the trailer coupling doesn't rattle on the tow ball when i lift and drop the trailer quickly, but then i can't get it to release when i pull the handle up.

So i have backed the grub screw off a bit so that it can be uncoupled but it now rattles a bit.

Is this normal? is so what sort of clearance would you normally adjust it to? Do you try and get it as close as possible but so that it can still be uncoupled or isn't it that fussy?

Regards

Sniper
24-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Do the adjusting nut up then back her off just until you can lift it off. Over a period of time the internal thingy will wear a little. When it does you will find that you can nip it up a bit more and it will take that play away. Is the play coming from the ball and hitch?, not from the goose neck of the towbar?
Bill

Sniper
24-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Also a smear of grease will take a little play out, but not much.

familyman
24-10-2004, 04:42 PM
But it will put grease all over the financial controllers new pants! :-[ :-[

Cloud_9
24-10-2004, 05:21 PM
i used to worry about that when i first got a quick hitch. 10years ago :-X
im old i think. new ball new hitch at same time.
i tow 6 days a week and every 2years i replace both, ie i sell the car and get a new 1 and i put new hitch on the trailer ;D
less rattles that way. the balls do wear quiet abit.
but its spot wear, top front and bottom back, from where the hitch touches.

Cheers Cloud 9

ba229
24-10-2004, 06:50 PM
thanks sniper, thats exactly what i did and i thought that was the way to go. appreciate the vote of confidence. hard to know if it is right without others saying so :-)

ba229
24-10-2004, 06:50 PM
p.s. i put grease on it too just to help wear and tear.

Payneful
25-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Not to sure about trailer couplings but grease is a no no on PTO shafts on tractors. The grease picks up dirt etc and the dirt and grease acts as a lapping paste and wears out the shaft. Might be why your tow ball/coupling is wearing?

Just a thought

Sam.

Sniper
30-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Only use a very thin smear of grease if you do use it. Otherwise it will pick up sand and grit and will cause more wear. I usually just wipe it off with a rag after I have put it on just so its a little slippery not gluggy. Have also used Lanox. Just stops the ball from rusting realy. Especially when you live right near the beach like I do and its parked outside 24/7.

blaze
30-10-2004, 04:08 PM
IMO you should never grease a tow ball, BUT do remove the adjusting screw and apply anti sieze because next time you go to adjust, if you dont anti sieze you probably wont adjust
cheers
blaze

ba229
31-10-2004, 10:09 AM
good point blaze. it is a little stiff already just from the galvanising it goes through at manufactor.

will take it out and anti seize it for sure