PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Tinnie

mini696
14-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Hi all,

I recently purchased my first tinnie. It was once painted, but the previous owner was in fresh/murky water and the white was stained really badly. So he had it blasted back to bare aluminium. Now its a dull shade of silver, and looks funny because its not painted OR polished.

I want to repaint it (most likely during the next off season), and I'm looking for links or ideas on how I should attack this.

I will spray the sides, transom , poopdeck (bow), and also spray inside down to the false floor. I may spray the underside but I will have to prepare that by blasting or some other method, and I'm worried about getting pinholes if I sandblast it.

What should I do to prepare the hull for painting?? Consider it used to be painted and has now been sand blasted. Any products (sugar soap, acid wash) should I use??

Payneful
14-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Mini

If i were you I would just leave it bare and practical. Unless you want it to be 'pretty'. The main advantage of aluminium in my opinion is the fact that it doesn't have to be painted!

I wash my hull down with aluminium cleaner once a year to bring the shine back and clean it up a bit. If you were going to paint it i wouldn't paint the bottom, most new aluminium boats have the bottom bare and only paint the sides and inside. Make sure you use the correct paint because if you dont your new paint job will only last a couple of months, if that and it will look terrible.

Sam

blaze
14-10-2004, 07:36 AM
good primer and 2 pack paint, the end result will depend on the prep work done,
IMO dont paint it, fish dont care and it wont show battle scares as easy
cheers
blaze

Zeeke
14-10-2004, 08:16 AM
G'day Mini, i just started that process on my boat today.. its already painted.. but has a few scratches and alot of bubbling paint.. so today im removing all the vinyl stickers (which is ALOT!) and removing all fixtures.. ill only be spraying the top and sides.. leaving the inside scratched, it doesnt need to be pretty, only the outside.. but once ive removed the stickers ill wash it to remove any leftover glue and dirt, then ill sand back all the rough stuff with some wet and dry, etch it then give it 2 coats in white paint again... to make it look pretty

Tim

lipsmackin.jig
25-10-2004, 11:22 AM
gooday mini to do a very good paint job clean with the right cleaner then us northane two pack under coat then use northane glass two part this paint will last a long time and has a real gloss finnish i have painted all of my boats and does not look like fadeing lipsmacking jigs 8) 8) 8) 8)

Remo
25-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Is there other ways of getting old paint off aluminium, mine is all chipped a looks pretty "shitty" or is sand blasting the best option and if so can recomend any body, or can I do it my self.

Ray

Zeeke
25-10-2004, 06:39 PM
paint stripper?

check out the range of Enviromentally Friendly Water Soluable range of paint strippers.. they wont eat through aluminium like normal paint stripper, ive been using it to remove the paint on the front deck of my boat which is all checker plate.. just paint on the gel then give it 30mins, then blast away with a gurney... might help to scratch up areas with a wire brush to help it get into the paint, but it simpley just bubbles up.. then wash off.. or scrape off if its flat surfaces.. id still recommend washing afterwards to remove any left over paint stripper

Tim

Remo
27-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Zeeke any particular brand

Zeeke
27-10-2004, 07:56 PM
umm.. brain is fried at the moment to give brand name.. i remember its made by the same company that makes glue.. Bostik? something like that.. its a white container, has its own brush inside the container, you just unscrew the lid which becomes the handle for the fixed brush and you just apply the paint stripper, give it 30mins and when ya return, it'll be all bubbled up

just remember.. Enviro-Stripper... if its the other stuff, it'll cause serious damage to your boat

Tim

Remo
28-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Cheers Zeeke, i'll look around

Zeeke
02-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, now my boat is completely painted as of 3pm this afternoon.. so heres a link to my site with a pile of picts of the work ive done on my boat.. and the finished look..

http://www.#######.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12

Tim

FishCQ
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
sorry to resurect an old thread.

Mines also painted previously and i was wondering would i need to strip all the old paint or just give it a good sanding and etch prime over the top of the old paint and the bare patches?

Any links or suggestions welcome, i have decent compressor and would buy a spray gun for the applying the paint/primer.

sheridan
07-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi mini696
I was an automotive spray painter for 25 yrs i also painted some buses for the city council which were alluminium also painted a couple of cesna aeroplanes we used to use a scotchbrite scouring pad with turps to clean and scour the bare alluminium. Then you use prepsol to clean the alluminium ,you wash small sections at a time , then with a clean dry rag wipe and dry each section as you go making sure you do not touch the surface once it is cleaned sweat and oil off you skin will make poor adhesion . On an aeroplane one dirty rivet can cause paint to peel off in sheets. Then spray with good quality super etch primer when dry spray with 2 pak marine paint making sure you use a sunstrom mask or equivelent . If you need some more help feel free to pm me

Geoff

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I tell you what it is a credit to you well done.

sheridan
08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi mini696
thanks for the pm

sheridan
08-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Sorry about the reply it posted before i finished that process is ok but you get what you pay for.

Geoff

philzero44
09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Im in the midddle of painting mine.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/philzero44/IMG_0027.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/philzero44/tinnie005-1.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/philzero44/IMG_0041.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/philzero44/IMG_0050.jpg