PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Owner

crazymorton
01-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi all,
i've just purchased my 1st new (2nd hand) boat. it's a Haines Signature 470F with 60 Merc. I'm living at Redland Bay and gonna be using the Cleveland ramp. as this is my 1st can anyone offer any tips, advice, insights etc into this boat and the area?
appreciate it!!
;D

aquarius
01-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi Crazymorton, Mate i own a signature 470F and they are great boats for out in the bay.
With the deep V you will get a fair bit of #body roll but nothing to worry about as this is normal.
The boat will cut through the chop no problem at all but get to know the boat before venturing to far.
I use the Redland bay ramp when heading out in the bay.
Cleveland ramp is good but i find it crowded at times.
I'm hoping to get out on the bay this coming weekend weather permitting so maybe you could tag along with me to get the feel of your new boat.
Do you have an under floor fuel tank? if so how much fuel does it hold?
I have 100 litres under floor.
I fish with soft plastics around Peel and Wello most times but now and then head over to the 4 beacons and the Rouse channel.
Cheers #Brent ;)

HappyG
02-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi Crazy, Certainly happy with my 470F October 1998 with a 98 Force 75hp ( agricultural technology, but starts every time). A little narrow in the beam perhaps but apart from that she's a fine little vessel for a day out. The only hassle is limited fuel, only have the 25 litre tank and Force loves a drink when it gets going. If anyone knows whether a tank can be built in under the floor love yo hear from you. Brent did yours come that way? Top speed on a good day 34 knots, good sensible crusie around 20-23, 4200 rpm.
Spend most of my time in Hervey Bay, Great Sandy Straits and school hols around Caloundra.
Cheers
Scott

crazymorton
02-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Brent,
not sure on the storage. it's got 2 x s/steel tanks at the rear and has a plastic reserve up front. im having this removed and plumbed off, will be in the way with kids etc....
i'll have to ask the owner about what size they are....
apparently this guys was a bit of a fusspot and went overboard on everything.\it has 2 radios, VHF/27meg, 2 batteries with a battery switch to isolate them...Garmin 126 GPS, Lowrance X85 Sounder, 4 x pfd 1, fire ext, v sheet....i dont think i'll need to buy to much to be safe!!

aquarius
02-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Shane it sounds like you will be well set up for the bay with all that gear onboard......i have just about the same on my boat with a cd player for those quiet nights when the fish don't bite..lol.

Scott my boat came with the stainless fuel tank underfloor....gives you more space at the rear of the boat for storing buckets ,cast net etc.
I'm running a 90 hp merc so the 100 litres comes in handy at times especially on longer trips when the wind chops up the bay.

Cheers Brent

crazymorton
04-11-2004, 07:42 AM
brent i've seen a cd/am/fm/mp3 player advertised recently in the Whitworth catalogue...claims to be corrosion proof and water resistant housing......i wouldnt mind getting one of these fitted do you know what they are like? can you get radio reception out in the bay in case i want to listen to cricket or footy??

megafish71
04-11-2004, 11:38 AM
G'day Crazy
I have the GME Brand CD/MP3/AM FM Radio on my boat. Works a treat and can get the local radio stations when fishing out on the shelf up here in Cairns. So you should have no problems picking up the local radio stations while fishing out in the bay.

Cheers Ron

crazymorton
04-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Ron,
the GME is the one i've seen. it's in a catalogue for $299. hows that compare?

megafish71
04-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Price sounds OK.
Got mine via a barter type deal with the guy at the shop I got mine from. I wanted a CD player, he wanted a security door and seeing that I own a business that make security screens and doors the deal was done.
Hope the tax office doesn't read this. ;D

Morlers
06-11-2004, 04:09 AM
Too late!

;D ;D

Morlers

megafish71
06-11-2004, 04:14 AM
:P :P