PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer brakes

Wild_cat
03-11-2004, 07:56 PM
It looks as though I will have to brake each of the 4 wheels on my trailer to esure I don't fall short of the QLD transport department. The boat and trailer are dead on 2000kg with 3/4 fuel tanks and nothing else

Has anyone done any looking around on most cost effective braking system. I have found a power system from NZ called a pulse brake system the trailer bloke will supply the power unit and 4 brakes for $2500 me install.

Electrics sound very costly to maintain but are the cheapest

What your set up and how best is it maintained???

Is there anyone you can suggest to contact about the braking dilema

Cheers John

boatboy50
04-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey,
Try Gold Coast Trailer Supplies (Oceanic Trailers), they have all the goods for reasonable prices.
Also try some of the BIG caravan shops you see around.
Im not sure id go for the pulse system, sounds a bit pricey, and not the best option IMHO.
Have a look at the Sensa Brake units, they appear simple and effective. Im not sure of the prices.
If the boat weighs under 2 tonne, you only need mechanical brakes fitted, so thats your call i guess.
Over that its serious money and systems.
Regards
Darren

Wild_cat
04-11-2004, 05:40 PM
I have over ride brakes on two wheels at present but it won't take to much to put it a 100 or so Kgs over 2 ton and I have heard the transport blokes are pretty tough even if your a little bit over. >:(
Suppose they have to draw the line some where.

I'm not keen on spending the brass on the brakes so I'll give the guys at Gold Coast a call. I'm in Rocky but that might give me the excuse I need to hit the Gold Coast for a Surf. ;D

Thanks for the info

magicpudding
05-11-2004, 04:28 AM
John,
Our BMT weighs around 2.8t with half fuel and not all the gear onboard, so we definately need brakes! We're running the electronically actuated hydraulic sensa (?spelling) brakes and have found them to be awesome. They are rigged up to the break pedal so that the trailer is braked as much as the car, and then you can also adjust the amount of brakes with the module on the dash. There is also a button on the module which will apply the trailer brakes for around 3 seconds to straighten it up if it gets the wiggles. Its a very good package, but i'm unsure of the cost.

CJ

Kerry
05-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Forget pure electric brakes on boat trailers, total waste of space.

The costs are going to probably knock you over (for a wee bit) regardless of the system but this is what one must do to please those who say so, no choice and the witch hunt will continue..

Really it's going to be hydraulic discs and either Vaccum or Electric over hydraulic. The electric over hydraulic is probably the direction to look into as they don't require the added expense of the vaccum system on the vehicle.

In Rocky you could try Bramac as they are PBR (vaccum) agents but PBR prcies will rock your socks off but then mention boat trailer brakes and all of a sudden they must be gold plated :-X.

Cheers, Kerry.

cooky
05-11-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm very interested in this topic because my brother-inlaw purchased a large plate boat (over 2tn) - it's on a trailer, but needs new everything (sat under a tree for many years). He hadn't thought about having to buy brakes and was concerned it is going to cost a fortune.
I would be very interested to know what is the best Value for money solution - preferably a model that isn't tied to a specific vehicle. I would like to let him know what sort of dollars he'll be looking at.
Is it possible ot located these things secondhand?

Kerry
05-11-2004, 05:07 PM
....preferably a model that isn't tied to a specific vehicle....

Regardless of the type of braking system the vehicle will require some specific setup be it vaccum/hydraulic or electric/hydraulic. Unless the tow vehicle has the necessary additions fittings then it simply can't tow the trailer with or without the boat.

Cheers, Kerry.

Needmorerum
05-11-2004, 06:43 PM
I've got a question about trailer brakes. I've got the mechanical brakes on mine, when the car brakes, the trailer moves forward, and this pivots the arm that pulls on the wire, that then pulls on the pivot plate that applies the brakes. Hey, how was that for a explanation for the simplest brake system invented.
Anyway, back to the question, the trailer moves forward and back very harshly, is this normal, or does this indicate that the brakes need adjusting up? It sounds and feels very abnormal, but then again, this is the first trailer that I have had these type of brakes on.

Corry

peterbo3
06-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Corry,
I have the same setup. I think that the wire activates the calipers really quickly causing them to grab & this causes the system to be a bit jerky. Upside is that it is very simple to adjust the brakes & easy to service.

cooky
06-11-2004, 09:26 AM
the vehicle will require some specific setup be it vaccum/hydraulic or electric/hydraulic.

well that's going to throw a spanner in his works isn't it :o.... I think he was hoping he'd be able to tow his boat with my 4x4, his fathers, or friends. his current ute certainly won't cut the mustard.

Looks like that "bargain" might be costing him a new car.... :-/

Wild_cat
06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Contacted the Gold Coast trailer people $2700 + for the Sensor electric over Hydraulic system but that was supply equipment only and using the existing discs and two new ones.ABout another $800 to fit the system.

I think I may have to bite the bullet as it is about the same price here in Rocky. Unless anyone has heard of anything different.

Kid might have to go without the second hand school books I was buying them for christmas

cheers john